Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What model sidewinder is this?!?!?

I do believe I have a early sidewinder model but not sure how to tell. Belong to my father and has been sitting for some time now. If anyone could help me identify this and how to replace the battery and maybe the value that would be greatly appreciated. I have hunted with this thing for many years as a child and would like to use it again. Thank you soo much

Hard to tell how early this model is, Garrett stamped underneath each BFO a set of letters but I don't know how to read them. Sidewinder was made between 1964 to 1972, shooting in the dark here but based from the center coil design looks like pre seventies. And upper rod connection is curved not straight like the earliest models, I would guess between 1966 to 1969. Could be wrong, Monte may know as he has knowledge of the older Garrett line.

Value, Well not much. Anywhere from $60 to $100 plus depending on collector and the rarely it can fetch more, Your dad's is a common one. Replacing the batteries is easy, remove the upper and lower four screws. Carefully side out control panel, replace batteries and reinsert panel.

Keep the unit, It will bring back fond memories both of you using it from previous hunts and of your dad. The coil is more for cache hunting, but will work on larger coins if I remember. But needs to be tuned properly to get quarters and halfs. Pennies& dimes are tough to get but possible scrubbing the soil with proper tuning, you may want to search for a smaller BFO coil for coin shooting. I do have one Sidewinder model, packed away but will post a picture of one similar to yours.

Enjoy your dad's BFO, Something to cherish for sure.

Paul

Hi ladeyhawkand wolf. I got my Sidewinder in July , 1969 for my 32 birthday . It still works and I have the instruction Manual. Pics in the manual show two versions of the of the Sidewinder, one , with detachable straight shaft that screws into bracket riveted to the box. The other pic, (like my Sidewinder) shows the loop bend fitting closer to the box and bolted to a 3" piece of channel. No locking nut on the shaft except for the one at the bottom where the lower shaft comes in. Your Sidewinder appears to be different from both of these pics in the manual so there were at least 3 versions of the Sidewinder we know of and that still does not give you much to help as to how early your Sidewinder is. I would guess it was the earliest though since the extra locking nut proved to be not necessary and removing it would have made the whole process easier and cheaper to produce. That's my thoughts ! HH, Charlie