Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What would you do?

A guy I know called me a month after I hunted on his property. I went there because he really wanted me to look at a spot he thought an old house was located. He took me to a place out in his woods and I suprisingly found a bunch of old civil was era stuff. I stayed about three hours and made a pile under a tree of what I found. In the pile were four axe heads, bunch of nails, some harmonica reeds, couple horseshoes, a couple belt buckles and an old cast iron pot. The homeowner came back, looked at it all, and said it was pretty cool. I left with the stuff and I thought that was the end of it.
But a month later I get a call from him saying that he's thought about it and that the stuff I found has historical value, and since it was all found on his property, he wants it back.
So I guess I'll put it in a box and give it back.
Anyone ever had this happen?

Indian giver I guess LOL Over the years I have given lots of finds to landowners just part of being an ambassador to the hobby. His timing is a little odd in my opinion. Final answer I would put some stuff in a little inexpensive case or just box it up. You only get one reputation no need to trash it and he might. I always try to discuss who gets what after I get permission before I turn on my detector.
HH Jeff

A guy I know called me a month after I hunted on his property. I went there because he really wanted me to look at a spot he thought an old house was located. He took me to a place out in his woods and I suprisingly found a bunch of old civil was era stuff. I stayed about three hours and made a pile under a tree of what I found. In the pile were four axe heads, bunch of nails, some harmonica reeds, couple horseshoes, a couple belt buckles and an old cast iron pot. The homeowner came back, looked at it all, and said it was pretty cool. I left with the stuff and I thought that was the end of it.
But a month later I get a call from him saying that he's thought about it and that the stuff I found has historical value, and since it was all found on his property, he wants it back.
Several years ago I had the same scenario. I received a invitations to detect a home dating from the early 1800's and I was very excited. The home had great history and at one time was a stage coach stop so on the 2 hour drive to the location my friend and I talked abour all the possibilities. This property was own by a family my friend had gone to school with so when he asked if I was interested I said YES. When we arrived I was introduced to the home owner and he gave us some history of the property and said good luck. This place was a bonanza, the first coin I found was a 17 merc and that was the newest coin I found that day. After 6 hours the home owner came out to check on us and see how we were doing. He said let's go inside the house and look at the finds. After looking at what we found said you guy's had a good day and took a small box and pushed the finds in it and said thanks for coming. My friend and I looked at each other in amazement. We said that we were under the a impression that we could keep some of the coins found and returned anything related to the family's history. He said that he was interested on seeing what would be found on the property and felt our reward was in the finding. I was naive in my thinking and should of have a written agreement with the home owner, no matter what's agreed upon. Have a agreement beforehand with the property owner with any means you feel comfortable with, there is no guarantee it will work in your favor but you need to start somewhere. This day I came home empty handed but I still have my memories of the day. Good luck to you

That’s a hard one to call.
Never had that happen to me, but if the landowners are the original family that lived there, I do offer to at least show them my finds, and even give them what I find..
I do however like to keep things too like most.
In your case, sounds like it was a camp and though somewhat historical, not anywhere like a battle field.
After all how many places have many out there found like this only to be covered over with pavement or a buildings later.
I know I have been over a few of them.

Al/lindley: You should have made a contract with him that if anything of value was found to split the profits or split what was found or to pay for the time of hunting & had him sign it! Too late I guess, but you might mention to him the wear & tear & time -- the expense of using your equipment but kindly & ask him for recommendations to others that may know him & allow you to hunt their properties! One lady in our Club dug some values from someone's property & held out her hand and asked if the owner would like something to keep for herself & The lady took everything of value! For some people it seems that to them kindness is taking all that is offered! Oh, well kindness does pay in the long run unless ya want to make business deals instead of doing detecting as a hobby! Stay happier by doing good to others & you will be blessed in the long run in mortal life! :whistle: Amen! Ma

Theres a restaurant in my hometown where I've eaten alot and across the street is the remains of an old honkytonk. Its now owned by the owners of the restaurant. I asked permission to hunt the grassy areas from the coowner who is nice and she said sure. After a few minutes her jerky brother sent her back out to ask what the agreement would be. I was ticked but said I didnt mind signing an agreement. But after that he wanted to come out and stand over me while I worked. I left and didnt go back for a long time. What they lost in my business was probably a lot more than what I most likely would have found.

I was invited to hunt a guys yard here in town. I've known him a long time, and he told me to have at it. First signal I dug was a well worn barber quarter. When he saw that he grabbed it out of my hand and put it in his pocket. I then "remembered" I had to be somewhere and never made it back.

I was invited to hunt a guys yard here in town. I've known him a long time, and he told me to have at it. First signal I dug was a well worn barber quarter. When he saw that he grabbed it out of my hand and put it in his pocket. I then "remembered" I had to be somewhere and never made it back.
Just remember the old adage, The love of money & what it does to people! Ma

Had that happen to a friend... he found a 1909-S VDB on the property while the owner was standing there. Needless to say, it didn't end well... all he got was the memory.

My uncle was in a MDing club. One day these retirees drove out to this park for permission to hunt. Park had them pay $,50 each for a permit and they had to stop by and hand over 50% of their finds..
Apparently nothing was found. No one stopped.

My uncle was in a MDing club. One day these retirees drove out to this park for permission to hunt. Park had them pay $,50 each for a permit and they had to stop by and hand over 50% of their finds..
Apparently nothing was found. No one stopped.
Park attendants NUTS--Retirees not so much! :whistle: Ma

Several years ago I had the same scenario. I received a invitations to detect a home dating from the early 1800's and I was very excited. The home had great history and at one time was a stage coach stop so on the 2 hour drive to the location my friend and I talked abour all the possibilities. This property was own by a family my friend had gone to school with so when he asked if I was interested I said YES. When we arrived I was introduced to the home owner and he gave us some history of the property and said good luck. This place was a bonanza, the first coin I found was a 17 merc and that was the newest coin I found that day. After 6 hours the home owner came out to check on us and see how we were doing. He said let's go inside the house and look at the finds. After looking at what we found said you guy's had a good day and took a small box and pushed the finds in it and said thanks for coming. My friend and I looked at each other in amazement. We said that we were under the a impression that we could keep some of the coins found and returned anything related to the family's history. He said that he was interested on seeing what would be found on the property and felt our reward was in the finding. I was naive in my thinking and should of have a written agreement with the home owner, no matter what's agreed upon. Have a agreement beforehand with the property owner with any means you feel comfortable with, there is no guarantee it will work in your favor but you need to start somewhere. This day I came home empty handed but I still have my memories of the day. Good luck to you
Talk about shoddy behavior. When I read stories like this I am bewildered beyond words. You learnt a lesson that day but that property owner sure has a lesson or two to learn as well.