Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's in a yard?

WXDirt

Last June, we moved into this house in Shreveport built in 1933...pretty large yard...around an acre or so. Been putzin' around the yard ever since, trying to clean it out. Also using the yard to learn the ETRAC a little better. Started off cherry-picking the coins...an hour here and an hour there. I was going to post all of the finds in the yard once I was sure I got it all. Thought I was going to have the place cleaned out in a couple of weeks, but I am now convinced that there is no such thing as "hunted out." It took me awhile, but eventually I started digging every repeatable signal on the 12-line and about 8 lbs of trash later, I finally got gold tonight. A chunky little 14K wedding band that had a run-in with the lawn mower. Also pulled out a silver plated spoon...the third in this yard.

[attachment 264322 Yardspoonandringclose.jpg]

Last weekend, I got a cool old firetruck, and to my surprise, a silver quarter...how could I have missed that?!?!?

[attachment 264323 YardfiretruckandWashington.jpg]

Reason I was surprised is because this was the SIXTEENTH silver coin in the last 8 months out of this property!!

[attachment 264324 Yardsilver-420K.jpg]

So these last two hunts added to the dozens of others grossed the following:

Clad
$1 - 1971 Ike
$0.25 - 48
$0.10 - 52
$0.05 - 24
$0.01 - 257, including 80 wheaties!

Silver
$0.10 - 1919X2, 1943-S, 1944, 1947, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1956, 1959, 1962
$0.05 - 1945-P
$0.25 - 1944, 1949-D, 1956-D
Foreign - 1937 Belgian Ten Cent piece
One 1930s-40s sterling pilot wings

[attachment 264325 Yard.jpg]

There is a local museum here that I have been donating finds to...they're piecing together the history of "life in the neighborhood" during the 30s, 40s and 50s...the other spoons, three more old hose nozzles, and a few of the toy cars I donated aren't in the photo above...but here are two of the cars:

[attachment 264327 Yardyellowcar.jpg]

[attachment 264328 Yardorangecar.jpg]

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. It is unreal how much stuff one yard can hold. I have been plagued by hundreds of pieces of copper debris from when the place was built...but it was definitely worth it. I learned a few things over the last 8 months:

1. The ETRAC (and especially TTF) is awesome, but it will take YEARS to master.
2. If you have the time and the patience, dig EVERYTHING!
3. No matter how hard you try, YOU WILL NEVER GET IT ALL!!!

Time to start beating on the neighbors' doors...

Cool finds! Nice to have a silver bin out the back!

Wonderful! :surprised: And about the damndest thing I've ever seen! Well, top ten anyway.:rofl:..really great how you cataloged and kept track of these finds with the group shot...congratulations on the finds and a great post! :clapping:
Mud

Wow, what a yard full of coins. Clad and silver, love the old cars they are probably worth a few $$. Goes to show its never hunted out.

HH Quack

Wow. I just drove through Shreveport a few weeks ago on my way to Georgia. With yards like that, maybe I should have spent a few days there. Impressive results!

Wow! Tons of stuff there!

great post,dirt.....i wished i had segregated all finds specific any given location the way you did...it really does tell a story when you can see all the separate pieces... i did that with one site that i have hunted-keep all that sites finds in a plastic container.... its amazing when you see the amount of stuff that comes out of a place like that...those people must have had partys or weekend get togethers to have that quanity..... great thing about a place like that is it will always have one more good find to give you..... happy hunting...

bootyhoundpa said:
great post,dirt.....i wished i had segregated all finds specific any given location the way you did...it really does tell a story when you can see all the separate pieces... i did that with one site that i have hunted-keep all that sites finds in a plastic container.... its amazing when you see the amount of stuff that comes out of a place like that...those people must have had partys or weekend get togethers to have that quanity..... great thing about a place like that is it will always have one more good find to give you..... happy hunting...

Ha! I didn't do so well segregating the trash though...first box got up to 8 lbs, then I just started throwing heaps of garbage in the trash:

[attachment 264545 Yardtrash.jpg]

Still a bunch of repeatable tones...mostly low...foil-sounding junk and a handful of zincolns, I'll bet. Here's a better shot of the firetruck from last weekend:

[attachment 264551 Yardfiretruck.jpg]

Here's a shot from the late 20s when they were clearing the old cotton field to make way for the development. You'd think those guys would've dropped a quarter or two, huh? Still looking for that first SLQ!

[attachment 264553 Yard1924.jpg]

One more cool thing...this is the first time our family has lived in the South. 80 years ago, when the houses went up, someone thought to plant pecan trees around the neighborhood. So last Fall, I got a two-fer outta my hunts and collected some FANTASTIC pecans along with the coins. This place is awesome!

[attachment 264550 Yardpecans.jpg]

[attachment 264554 Yardpecansandsilver.jpg]

HH, ya'll (did I say that right?)

WXDirt said:
bootyhoundpa said:

Ha! I didn't do so well segregating the trash though...first box got up to 8 lbs, then I just started throwing heaps of garbage in the trash:

[attachment 264545 Yardtrash.jpg]

Still a bunch of repeatable tones...mostly low...foil-sounding junk and a handful of zincolns, I'll bet. Here's a better shot of the firetruck from last weekend:

[attachment 264551 Yardfiretruck.jpg]

Here's a shot from the late 20s when they were clearing the old cotton field to make way for the development. You'd think those guys would've dropped a quarter or two, huh? Still looking for that first SLQ!

[attachment 264553 Yard1924.jpg]

One more cool thing...this is the first time our family has lived in the South. 80 years ago, when the houses went up, someone thought to plant pecan trees around the neighborhood. So last Fall, I got a two-fer outta my hunts and collected some FANTASTIC pecans along with the coins. This place is awesome!

[attachment 264550 Yardpecans.jpg]

[attachment 264554 Yardpecansandsilver.jpg]

HH, ya'll (did I say that right?)
Great finds,and those pecans are great eating!