Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WHEN, a light weight ATX.

Limalot

When is Garrett going to take the ATX to weight watchers, it is way to heavy and could be made a lot lighter as some members have proved. External water proof power source. carbon fibre shaft, less bulky plastic case. The controls and electronics are great; just the presentation of it all, if you don't take steroids.

I have been lobbying as hard as I can for this from the first time I laid hands on the ATX. Frankly I am surprised with the African gold rush that Garrett has never done a light weight dry land only version of the ATX. I hope they do it someday but I've got mine - Garrett LTX at 4.7 lbs batteries included.

file.php

No doubt, the ATX has the "brain's" that most everyone is looking for. BUT, mounted on what is probably the Worst designed structure ever manufactured. 5 years ago I was shopping for a Pi, had read a lot on the ATX & Infinium. After handling both it was a no brainer. I gave up 10+ years of technology for a common sense design.(Infinium) Now quite a few have great results with the Atx , while fighting the extra weight, having to disassemble and clean after every hunt. And not to mention the super cost of extra coils. Cable failures and all the rest. Any of you guys remember the Edsel ? Why the sour grapes ? Well at 68, my detecting future is probably on the 10 yard line with no time outs. Lol. There's no sign the Tech engineers are ready to suck it up and do anything about it. Apparently they are happy with the Atx sales as is. One last note, I spend 2-3 months beach hunting a year in Florida. See many different detectors. Have yet to spot one Atx. Not one ever. So they decide to redo the AT Pro, probably their best seller. And can't seem to find anything to fix on the Atx. Any ways, I have my share of fun with my Ace , the Pro & the Inferno. No complaints there.
Happy hunting.

Dancer said:
One last note, I spend 2-3 months beach hunting a year in Florida. See many different detectors. Have yet to spot one Atx. Not one ever. So they decide to redo the AT Pro, probably their best seller.

Obviously I agree with a lot of what you say. To be fair however you should not be seeing ATX detectors in Florida. The main reason for a ground balancing PI is to handle extreme ground. Florida is the last place I would use my ATX - a Surf PI makes far more sense, or a VLF. I assume the reason you see no ATX detectors being used in Florida is most detectorists there did their research before buying.

Hawaii, Oregon Coast, Lake Tahoe, are a few places to use an ATX.

steve herschbach said:
Dancer said:
One last note, I spend 2-3 months beach hunting a year in Florida. See many different detectors. Have yet to spot one Atx. Not one ever. So they decide to redo the AT Pro, probably their best seller.

Obviously I agree with a lot of what you say. To be fair however you should not be seeing ATX detectors in Florida. The main reason for a ground balancing PI is to handle extreme ground. Florida is the last place I would use my ATX - a Surf PI makes far more sense, or a VLF. I assume the reason you see no ATX detectors being used in Florida is most detectorists there did their research before buying.

Hawaii, Oregon Coast, Lake Tahoe, are a few places to use an ATX.

Steve I Didn't think about it like that. The depth is what I would have bought it for. The extra inches of deeper targets. As example I believe the Atx (from what I've read only) will root quite deeper than the Infinium. So , if the Atx was packaged better, I would probably got one. Now I'm just a duffer, but I can usually make what I have work to some extent. Just saying as you proved, it wouldn't be hard to knock a pound or so off & maybe a couple of $ bucks wouldn't hurt. If that would happen , no doubt the Atx's would start popping up on most beaches. And that is what they are in business for.

Dancer, I'm with you on the ATX--I own ML PI's and the TDI Pro and SL and was really interested in the ATX,but the coil attachment,cable issues,and having to disassemble to clean was too much. When there are Obvious glitches with any product and the manu. refuses to correct---I have plenty other toys to interest me.

Doc, I use the atx for wetsand only. That thing is friggen heavy but deep. Blows the sl out of the water. The iron check is for the most part useless until the target is out of the hole. I recover targets out of the sl depth and that is saying something. The weight is a serious issue though, ordered 1 of the ml harness to see if that eliminates the problem

I made a Hip Stick to carry the weight, it works very well and reduces the shoulder weight by 1/2. I can use the ATX for around 4 hours at a time now. I worked the new Mono coil at the weekend for around 6 1/2 hours, no gold but heeps of lead and rubbish, coil was NOT faulsing as mutch as the old DD, was a plesure to use; the weight caught me in the end though, back gave in; Bundy time.

Doc.. forgot to mention I have a 2nd atx. Without the dumbest shaft ever created. I have a 14x10dd coil and a custom cf shaft i made for it. Battery pack clips onto a belt. No longer waterproof though. I will try to,find a photo,if I have 1

Could only find the partial photo. Atx with the 10x14dd. Notice the shaft... cuts through water like a knife in warm butter. Weighs next to nothing.
I was using the stock atx a few days ago and accidently leaned on it while digging. Almost fell on my face. The shaft started collapsing.
I did manage a 0.31g gold with decent depth with it

Limalot said:
When is Garrett going to take the ATX to weight watchers, it is way to heavy and could be made a lot lighter as some members have proved. External water proof power source. carbon fibre shaft, less bulky plastic case. The controls and electronics are great; just the presentation of it all, if you don't take steroids.

I'd jump on a lighter ATX in an instant -- and don't even care if it loses being water-proof to get that light weight. I don't submerge detectors beyond the occasional coil dip (and never the box). I detect mainly in the California Sierras, the Nevada and Arizona deserts and Alaska. When it comes to water I really just need one that can handle the rain I usually find myself in when I'm in Alaska.

What coils have people used , that work with the ATX . I like the light weight idea, looking at carbon fibre for shafts, 100g per metre.

stephenscool That thing is friggen heavy but deep.[/quote said:
Yes Sir it is!