Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When to use "discriminate" mode

A

Anonymous

I have gotten the impression that any use of the "discriminate" mode is going to mean possibly missing valuable targets. I have heard, for example, that aluminum and gold are very similar in how they react to the magnetic field that the coil induces.
I have an "all metal" and a "discriminate" mode and the former means pulling out lots of nails and pull-tabs. If I use the latter I am afraid I'll miss something interesting. I am still new so I haven't really had enough experience to form an opinion and I haven't really found anything more valuable than a clad dime so I hate to pass over something.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Erick

On land, and say relic hunting, you almost have to dig all even the nails and pop tops. School yards and parks, you can miss some gold if you discr. Since gold and valuables can show up just about anywhere on the spectrum of the detector ie: pull tabs, square tabs, foil even pennies and nickels, it is your choice of how you set up your detector.
At the beach, most people search with all-metal and dig all. I am sure the guys and gals here can add to what I have said as I don't profess to know all there is to know.

Erick
I have learned to hunt all sites that I get permission to hunt on. The important thing is to get out and learn your detector. Alot of times I will be hunting in a new area and people will stop by and tell me about a location nearby and its history.
I like to start out with as little DISC as possible to see how the targets are reading in their native soil. I will DISC targets out as I go over the site, sometimes if I am finding alot of trash targets and time is running short, I will load a specific program and only hunt for coins or jewerly. The more time you spend with your detector the more you will find.
Find someone that is experienced in the detector of your choice and go hunting with them, the most expensive metal detector on the market is worthless if you don't know how to use it. HH TB

I know what you mean being a novice myself. My first time out was last week and I spent most of a day digging up beer cans! I'm going to a local treasure hunting club meeting this week end and hope to get some first hand tips. Might be a good idea for you to see if you have one in your area. JIM