Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where to bring specimens to confirm Gold content?

Dilynngarland

Does anyone know where to take Quartz specimens with possible gold to get evaluated, and confirmation that it is in fact gold? A buddy of mine in Tennessee is looking to get his specimens looked at and they look promising. He just wants confirmation. Any insight would be great.

You're not providing near enough info to get a valid answer. I would look for a gold and silver dealer some where close to the area it came from to start and hope they would steer you to someone that could answer his questions , at least that person could probably confirm whether it's pyrite or actual gold. As far as purity and value , it depends on if the samples are big enough to even test and if still in the quartz , obviously the weight is impossible to determine. Assaying if it's gold is another story and could easily cost more than the samples tested are worth. If you can separate a small flake onto a hard surface and it shatters under the edge of a knife or when stuck with another hard object , it's pyrite , very simple to test and it will have a brassy color versus a gold color

Lol thank you for your insight. My friend sent me pictures which I would send but they aren’t loading. I am pretty familiar with what gold is and isn’t but I haven’t had the chance to look at the specimens in person. As for size, they would probably fit pretty good in the palm of your hand. It’s a brassy/Goldish color and it’s embedded in the quartz it appears. It’s a large amount of brass/goldish color, almost to the point that if it didn’t have the hint of shine that it does, it could be looked at as sulphur. It doesn’t look like pyrite, but I imagine it would be pretty difficult to break off a chunk just from looking at it. I asked him to try a knife test and press on the colored places and see if it was malleable, I haven’t got a response to whether or not it was or not. If the pictures ever end up loading I’ll send some, but overall it looks interesting. If I had a loop to look at it in person it may help but unfortunately I’m too far away to look at it.

Haven't been prospecting for 12 years but if I remember right pyrite will give off the odor of sulfur if smashed. Your friend doesn't have much to lose if he smashed a chunk , if it's gold it will just get flatter and bigger
:)
Does it look like this

Attachments

• P1060007 (Medium).JPG
    P1060007 (Medium).JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 69