Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil?

Joe Black

Are the aftermarket coils any good with the X-terra or, not a good idea?……..I understand Minelab doesn’t support the idea though.

The Coiltek (and obviously Minelab) coils are good to go.
ALL THE OTHERS lack technical support from Minelab that is necessary for optimal function. They are "reverse engineered" by former com-bloc pirates, and they lack subtle programming information that is vital for accuracy in the groundbreaking digital technology the Xterra line utilizes.

Thanks!……I’ll stick with the Minelabs then…..I was trying to find a medium frequency DD coil that was waterproof, that was smaller than the “15. The plan is to use at the beach, primarily dry sand. Not sure if the “15 will grab the near by mineralization more so. That’s why I was interested in the aftermarket ones since the waterproof & right size choices.

Of the 12 coils available (Coiltek & Minelab), only three aren't waterproof. Those are the 10½" HF & MF DD coils, and the 5x10" HF DD coil.
I agree that it sucks not having a mid-sized DD that's waterproof, but really, the 15" coils perform better than you might think.

Of the 12 coils available (Coiltek & Minelab), only three aren't waterproof. Those are the 10½" HF & MF DD coils, and the 5x10" HF DD coil.
I agree that it sucks not having a mid-sized DD that's waterproof, but really, the 15" coils perform better than you might think.
As long as I can get good depth without backing sensitive way down, I’m in!…..My second concern is the coil weight…..That’s why I was trying to find a little smaller (“10 to “12 ) range….Dang, if only the “10 DD coil was waterproof!..it would have made my decision much easier.

As long as I can get good depth without backing sensitive way down, I’m in!…..My second concern is the coil weight…..That’s why I was trying to find a little smaller (“10 to “12 ) range….Dang, if only the “10 DD coil was waterproof!..it would have made my decision much easier.
As long as you don't actually submerge it, you can seal up a 10½" coil to work in a wet environment. A can of Flex Seal™ from the hardware store is all you need. Just be sure to coat the cable itself above where it goes through the case to prevent seep.

As long as you don't actually submerge it, you can seal up a 10½" coil to work in a wet environment. A can of Flex Seal™ from the hardware store is all you need. Just be sure to coat the cable itself above where it goes through the case to prevent seep.
I’ll take that up in consideration if I decide on that coil….For now, I’ll go with the coil it came with ( “9 , 7.5khz concentric). I’m going to try & find used coil first…..Chances are, I’ll end up paying more for a new coil then what I paid for whole unit……This machine is a backup 3rd string player to my other machines anyways.

Bah hum bug to you sir.. COILTEK is not Minelab.
Coiltek was authorized by Minelab to develop coils, and given the necessary information by Minelab, but no other manufacturer has had access to that info.
Both Randy and I did field tests on the Coiltek coils and worked directly with them in developing what you're now using.

You're right.....Coiltek is NOT Minlab. However, they do have a cooperative agreement and work together.