Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which detector for the smallest ????

JimGilmore

This is a question and It is not meant as a failure by any detector...
I'm just wondering what the smallest gold you've found and with which detector did you find it?
Smallest I've found is stii quite big by comparison to what I find with my drywasher. But small by comparison to what I've seen as nuggets.
I'd say about 1-2 grains...I think.Next month I'll purchase a new grain scale and weight them.

JimGilmore --

From all that I've read, if you want to find the SMALLEST gold, and that's your MAIN objective, then get the Gold Bug 2. It finds TINY stuff. I have never used one, but this is what I understand.

My Gold Bug Pro w/11" DD coil will "see" a slightly-less-than 1/10 gram speck of gold, at 1/2 to 1" or so. I think the Gold Bug 2, with its much higher frequency, does better on these tiny pieces of gold.

One place for more info is the "Alaska Mining" forums (www.akmining.com), where Steve Herschbach posts. The detecting forums there have ALOT of info on gold nugget detecting.

Steve

The GBII is generally regarded as being able to find the tiniest stuff (down to about a tenth of a grain, although of course it depends on the nugget and the ground conditions and the user's skill etc. etc.). Most "real" VLF gold machines can hit nuggets smaller than a grain under good conditions.

--Dave J.

"Most "real" VLF gold machines can hit nuggets smaller than a grain under good conditions."

does the g2 have this capability with either the 11 or the 5 inch coil?

or what I consider to be "very small" and I know some makes/models can hit on the pickers even in an in-air test.

I once used the Gold Bug II along with a few other gold nuggets oriented models in some in-the-field comparisons and found that it could hit on the smallest of nuggets better than most of them at the time. I also found that in some ground mineral environments it was more difficult because it just didn't seem to handle the ground variations as well. At the time, between the Gold Bug (original) and the Gold Bug II, my personal favorite was the original Gold Bug.

I hope to get into a few better nugget producing areas this season with the G2, but from what I have been able to compare so far, using the same two 'pickers' and a couple of nuggets a friend has, the G2 does well. Since my earlier evaluation of the Gold Bug II I worked other makes and models in a variety of sites in Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. Of all the 'nugget specific' models (those w/o Discrimination), my favorite has been the Tesoro Diablo

i get a good inch or 2 on a very small peice of gold with my gold bug se/pro with the 5in.. I can almost get 5 inches with a .4 gram nugget. The ground is almost 80 in my front yard. IV been playing with a small peice of a lead sinker i cut in half, and get a good inch or so.. Im pretty impresed with it.. But yea the gb2 will find very small peices. :fisher:

I guess what I'd like to know is how much better is the GB pro or what ever it is at finding gold...than the G2.
Or How much better is the G2 at finding coins than the GB pro ?

Or are they pretty close to each other ?

Jim --

If you take the G2 and put a 5" coil on it, you have a "Gold Bug Pro." No performance differences. Think GMC Sierra pickup versus Chevrolet 1500 pickup. The machines are the same, aside from cosmetics, even down to the printed circuit boards (which, on the G2 are labeled "Gold Bug").

Steve

oh, so are they both made in the same place ????
But now I know I'm looking at the same things sheeshhhh.