Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites 6.59MHz Machines Obsolete?

bootyhoundpa said:
I have the 5900 and use the 5.3inch coil for park hunting...very good target separation and good depth..it will hit fine on gold, you just have to be willing to dig it.. as far as how well they stack up against newer machines, I dont know...

I have used F75 Ltd, MX5, DFX. I have sold the MX5 and replaced it with a 5900 Di/Pro Plus and IDX Pro Mr. Bill mod. Also got a CZ6a. Analog machines are amazing and offer the nuances in audio and visual indicators that digital machines just cannot touch.
I have found detecting much easier and more rewarding by using analog machines as my main choice now.

The 5900 Di/Pro Plus along with the IDX Pro is a great combo. The 5900 for covering ground in more open areas, and the IDX for working in the trash.

I just bought an IDX Pro with the Mr. Bill mods after missing my old one I foolishly sold a few years back. The analog machines are a real joy to use and they perform great. The newer digital machines give you a lot of bells and whistles, but they don't really perform that much better than the last of the great analog machines like you have. So I'd certainly say no, the 6.59 kHz machines are NOT obsolete.

Thanks for the reply. I am relatively new to both machines, but your observations are spot-on.
I have not yet tried the 6" blue max coil on the 5900 - just the stock 9" donut. I have searched a trashy
site with it, and was happy with it even with the larger coil. I also have the little snooper blue max coil so will
have to see how the 5900 responds with these. The IDX Pro Mr Bill mod is amazing in an absolutely
trashy old school yard I detect regularly. It was built in 1907 and is full of amazing old relics and coins as well
as modern trash laying over the goodies. It has no trouble snagging the good stuff. It only took me one and a half
seasons in the hobby to realize that the older analog machines are amazing. And I won't even get started on my
Fisher CZ6a - that's for another forum LOL. HH

The 6.59 kHz machines are still as relevant today as they were when they first appeared. Everyone thinks the newer machines have updated technology. Except for some new refinements, most of the new machines still use VLF technology that topped out 20 years ago. It is as if some think the detectors made 20 years ago cannot find a coin today just because time moved forward.

Gregg wrote "Will be fun figuring it out"...I imagine You and Monte can get it humming along nicely.:twodetecting:

I had to figure out mine with the manual only, I learned it is almost impossible to GB when turned on with "Hot Rock Accept" now I use the pre-set "Hot Rock Reject". This is before I learned about the detecting forums....which lessens the learning curve. The 6000 Pro XL and later named XL Pro make a nice open park machine when targets are spaced out some. When targets get closer together...the long "ring time" of the four filter XL Pro starts to show some draw backs with good target masking. Then it is time to pull out a faster detector with a quicker recovery speed.

Hey Randy how ya been doing ?? You gonna try and hit one of the outings this year ?? Box your stuff up and send it to me and I'll get it to the outing site.....all you have to do is get your body to the outing.

But ya glad Monte is close by to show me how to get this puppy up and running.

Most of it looks straight forward, like auto trac/lock, Disc, power and Mode. Its the upper left and right knobs , Sig Bal and Tuner ?? I thought about it for awhile and it finally dawned on me.....this might be just like my Samsung Galaxy phone , able to receive FM radio stations ??

Anyhow it gets here Friday, and I will take it over to Monte's before I even unbox it. :)

Gregg, congratulations on the new XL Pro. It's a real beauty! Randy summed it up. These are about perfect for more open areas without a lot of trash, but aren't well suited to trashier areas. There are some things you can do to make it "ok" in the trash, like using the 5.3 Bullseye coil, hunting slow in GEB Norm or TR Disc, and turning the sensitivity down. But you'd be better off switching to another detector when the trash gets thick. An IDX Pro is the perfect compliment to the XL Pro in this regard. It even uses the same coils.

What the XL Pro does do better than any detector, is bring you right back to the good ol' days of top of the line White's analog technology. It is the culmination of 20 years of careful design improvements to White's top of the line 6000 series detectors which are legendary as being the reigning king of detectors from the late 70's to at least the mid 90's. It just really doesn't get any better than this for analog tech. The audio is so smooth and sweet, very stable and quiet, and deep on coins especially.

Randy's a guru on the XL Pro, as well as Monte, of course. Signal Balance is very important. Don't turn it up too high, especially in mineralized ground, or else you'll lose depth. High beams in the fog analogy is very true with this model. Also you'll get GB "foldback" when you have signal balance too high. Here in Boise's mostly mild soil, I usually end up running signal balance around 2-3 o'clock.

I'm still planning on attending the June outing. Let's try to get Randy out this way for one of the outings and we can really have a great time playing with all our 6.59 kHz machines.

Darren

Should there be a question, Gregg can ask him.

Better yet, Gregg can easily boast a bunch and show off the excellent finds he is going to make with the XL Pro.

And as much as Monte pampers every detector he owns and tries to maintain attractive-appearance units, Gregg gets to boast about his 'as new' and minty-shape White's XL Pro [size=small](one of which Monte doesn't have)[/size]. :(

Envious,
Monte

Monte said:
(one of which Monte doesn't have). :(

Envious,
Monte

On second thought maybe I better keep it away from Monte. I might not get to bring it back home.......

Darren hope to see you at the June outing. If you can get the time, it will be an easy one to get to from your location. And ya, in the meantime you can work on Randy and convince him he needs to make an outing :)

It is not only the analog 6.59 detectors that work well, but also the early digital Whites are awesome detectors. I took my Eagle 2 SL 90 out for a run today and am always amazed at how good it does. It will give me good hard hits on a 8 inch dime with solid tid as well. It is also a very stable detector, not as bothered by EMI as many newer detectors I have used.
I also wonder if anyone has tried one of the DD coils for the 6.59 Whites that are offered by a company in Spain that is currently selling them?

Whites 6000di series 3, Eagle 2 SL 90, Quantum XT, XLT,
Garrett Master Hunter CX3
Fisher Edge ID
Teknetics T2
Tesoro Mojave

Not in my World. The Whites 6.59 khz. will always be in my arsenal.
My White's machines are the Mr. Bill modded IDX PRO and my
Eagle SL90.5. The Eagles a little heavy compared to what's being
made today but worth it's weight in gold to me. The IDX Pro is
certainly a keeper too. Just a basic machine with great capabilities
in Iron with a slower sweep speed. These are not my main go
to units but when I want a change or to mix it up a little, I know
these 2 units will not disappoint me. Another great quality about
these older Whites machines are they are built like an "Ol Timex"
watch. Take a lick'n and keep on tick'n!!! Sooo, Obsolete, not in
my world!!!
silverseeker2

Hi donl98632, That's news to me about DD coils for Whites machines running 6.592 kHz. Tell me more if you have any info. or a link to their site.

TC-NM

donl98632 said:
It is not only the analog 6.59 detectors that work well, but also the early digital Whites are awesome detectors. I took my Eagle 2 SL 90 out for a run today and am always amazed at how good it does. It will give me good hard hits on a 8 inch dime with solid tid as well. It is also a very stable detector, not as bothered by EMI as many newer detectors I have used.
I also wonder if anyone has tried one of the DD coils for the 6.59 Whites that are offered by a company in Spain that is currently selling them?

Whites 6000di series 3, Eagle 2 SL 90, Quantum XT, XLT,
Garrett Master Hunter CX3
Fisher Edge ID
Teknetics T2
Tesoro Mojave

Bought a DiPro 5900 in the mid '90s and found many, many coins, rings,etc. I gave it to my grandson a couple of days ago. As I am in my 80s, it had become rather heavy. I have been using the M6 for the last several years. Both machines seemed about equal in ability, but, I miss knobs and switches. Felt like I had more control. Any way, I don't believe 6.59 will be obsolete for many years to come. Just an opinion from a man who bought his Whites detector in '68.

Hi Lorenz

Good first post, I also like the shoe box analog White's machines. Mine just so happens to be a late model 5900 CB, I like the total control that knobs and switches give you. The 5900 Di Pro SL (CB) is the last of the 4 filter manual ground balanced big bodied park slayer. I like to run the 600 Bluemax coil with the Signal Balance goosed up on the hot side. With the double stacked 10 turn Ground Balance, it is fairly easy to do. When set up this way with the 6½" coil, the sweep speed can be slowed somewhat to a more comfortable, moderate speed & still detect deep.

I still use my IDX Pro on a regular basis,its still bog standard as well and never been altered with the addition of a manual GB etc,most of the time i just use the 950 stock coil although i also do have the 5.3 coil as well.

On a really trashy roman site the IDX excels and really a joy too use,i do have more modern machines that i can and do use,but for pure enjoyment and a nice days detecting and regular decent finds in my finds pouch then the IDX Pro takes alot of beating.

I ont think any other detectors gives me so much pleasure than the IDX,what more can you ask for from this terrific pastime that we have.

I still have my idx classic sl with the 6.59 freq. and have found over 250 rings with it over my 58 years Even though now I also have minelabs equinox 800,
minelab excalibur, and surfmaster, I wont sell it because it is still a top machine to me.