Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites Eagle 2 SL 90 Power Gobbler.

Sweeping-4-junk

I am sure this detector probably might just hold the world record as the ultimate battery power eater. 3 and a half to 4 hours to flatten zinc carbons. Alkaline's not that much longer actually maybe 2 hours or so extra.
One thing i noticed with this oldie machine is the battery connections in the pack must be pristine or the machine faults, also the two contacts in the machine battery compartment need buffing up on a regular basis. Today my screen froze up and the machine would not work at all despite testing indoors before going out on the hunt. I got back home and cleaned everything with switch cleaner and fibre cleaning pen put new batts in and she was working great.
One thing i noticed is just how much voltage is dropped with the machine switched on. . The fresh battery's in the pack (with the pack removed) measured 6.4 volts with an high accuracy volt meter. When i put the pack into the machine and measure the voltage using the SL90 'S built in battery voltmeter i get a reading of 5.9 volts. So what do you think would you say it normal to see half a volt dropped, i test the machine for 1 minute and i see the voltage has gone down to 5.8 - talk about a power sucker..

4junk, do you have your light on all the time? I make sure mine is off unless I am in almost dark. The light will run her dead faster than anything, and the longer you use the pinpoint will use more power. I make sure I know about where the target is before I turn on pinpoint.

I used the Eagle II SL 90 for many years. Loved it, except that it was far out-paced , on depth, by other machines that came along. But otherwise loved it.

I don't recall it being a power-hog for batteries. I used rechargeable nicads, and always had a 2nd pack in my apron to swap out if needed. So I never paid much attention to how fast it drew down power, since the nicads can just be recharged for free.

I went out with it today for a 90 minute hunt and the brand new battery's are more than 50% depleted!.
Ok they are zincs, pretty bad battery's i know, so 2.5 to 3 hours is looking like the maximum hours the zincs can withstand before depleting to a level where the detector fails...

Yes it's not a depth monster i agree. The non motion all metal goes down 2 inches or so deeper on a coin but the meter won't kick numbers up on anything past moderate depth so i start digging deep crap...
AMAZING that the detector is still working well after 30 years though!..