Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites MX7 double silver dimes

dfmike

Another trip to the old school with the MX7. I wanted to try to hunt in coin and jewelry mode but with the machine open to everything (no discrimination). I've used the hi trash mode and discrim to at least zero but most of the time all the way up to 15. Some observations concerning the machine's behavior between these 2 detection programs: I'm finding Canadian steel core clad more easily with no discrimination. I'm not sure why since the machine never ID's recent Canadian clad as iron. So far the only explanation I have is that I understand the tones much better with everything open including the incessant iron grunt sounds (super trashy area). With everything open, I get literally bombarded with low tones but I get the occasional higher tone of everything above iron ( I hunt in 2 tones), which makes me investigate further. I find I move very slowly with no discrimination but it might be the only way to do it properly in order to unmask the hidden old coins. I've hunted this place to death so finding the occasional silver coin in all that modern and old trash is rare and welcomed.

When nothing is discriminated out (-95 to +95 open), the detector no longer clips the sounds, falses or hiccups which it does all the time when discrimination is raised. The more I use this detector, the more I get the feeling something is wrong with the way Whites implemented the discrimination on it. For example, once I tried raising the discrimination to eliminate all finds except the copper and silver range and it still made a racket. That is something I have never experienced with any other detector when opening up the high conductor zone only. They essentially go silent as they should. Not the MX7. At least not mine. Raising discrimination seems to make the detector hesitate on just about everything. It might be the ground balance that I set and lock but then again, no other detector has an issue with this area or any other.

In any case, I find this detector easier to use wide open even though the sound barrage in trashy places gets tiring after a while. At least the machine makes more sense to me sonically. When I first started using this detector and complaining about the clipped tones and single beeps it would make, someone suggested using no discrimination and I finally tried it and seem to be having some success with it. I just wish Whites would have used some kind of iron volume or ferrous tone kill option on the detector. The F19 has a very effective one when the volume is set to 10, all iron is silenced completely and the detector stays stable.

The picture shows the result of a 2 part hunt. I made some of these finds on a short hunt at the beach but most of those finds were made at the old school.

There are 2 silver dimes in there (a 1938 and a blackened 1959), a rusty buckle, a 40-44 D.C. Co. shell (found on the same beach where I found several 9mm bullet casings), a few junk ear rings, a cineplex Odeon token and a variety of Canadian clad. These finds were made with the six shooter concentric coil in coin and jewelry program with gain set to 6. By the way and this might and probably is pure coincidence but my silver to copper coins ratio is better with the MX7 than with any other detector I have used so far in the same areas. It certainly has its quirks but I make some good finds with it.