Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites PI 3000

A

Anonymous

Hi folks,
I was just wondering how the PI 3000 stacks up to the newer PI machines around. From what I've read, newer PI circuitry has some discrimination capabilities? I think the 3000 is a great machine, but it just doesn't really fit the bill for most of the hunting I do these days, and I've been considering selling it. I just thought I'd get the scoop on what's new these days in the PI world, mainly from Eric and Bill, but anyone, please chime in with all opinions.
Thanks and HH
Andy

Hi Andy,
Yes your correct, they has been a performance increase in the PI detector scene. This increase has come along the lines of more sensitive, deeper units, specifically designed for the beach/shallow water hunter. The newer units are far more sensitive to low conductive items like gold jewelry. Their operation is closer to the familiar operation of VLF detectors, sounding like them, and auto circuit resetting (SAT). There is a larger choice of accessories, like different coil sizes for one.
The White

Bill,
Thanks for the extensive info. Could you give me any more concerning discrimination capabilities with PI these days? With the talk of hairpin depths, I kind of assume that it's still not feasible in the machines being used, i.e., PI users are still digging everything.
Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,
Sorry, I forgot about answering the discriminating question. Yes, some PI detectors are capable of distinguishing between some trash, and junk. Bobby pins, and nails generally are pretty easy to do this with because of their elongated shape. Passing the coil in one direction should give you a long signal, and passing it 90 deg. to it should give a short double blip signal. This should be a change from your PI 3000 because I believe with that you just get clicks instead of a threshold sound, and your unable to distinguish the size of it very easy.
For the most part I haven