Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Are Ghost Towns Abandoned?

Charles B

Factors leading to abandonment of towns include depleted natural resources or natural resources such as water no longer being available; railways and motorways bypassing or no longer accessing the town or economic activity shifting elsewhere; human intervention such as highway re-routing (as was the case with many towns located along U.S. Route 66, after motorists bypassed the towns on the faster moving I-44 and I-40); river re-routing (the Aral Sea being one example of this), and nuclear disasters such as Three Mile Island. Significant fatality rates from epidemics have also produced ghost towns; for example, some places in eastern Arkansas were abandoned after near-total mortality (over 7,000 Arkansans died during the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 and 1919).

Natural disasters can also create ghost towns. After being flooded more than 30 times since their town was founded in 1845, residents of Pattonsburg, Missouri had enough after two floods in 1993. With government help, the whole town was rebuilt three miles (5 km) away. Residents moved to New Pattonsburg, leaving the old Pattonsburg behind as a ghost town. A more recent ghost town is Centralia, Pennsylvania, which at its peak had over 2,600 residents in either the borough itself or in immediately adjacent areas and was over 1,000 as recent as 1981 but as of 2007 was down to nine residents and finally zero residents in 2012 as a result of a underground mine fire that started in the 1960s when a landfill created from an abandoned strip mine was set on fire. (At the time, it was legal to create a landfill from an abandoned strip mine as long as it was sealed off from any possible coal seams that could catch fire; this loophole has since been closed because of Centralia.) Pennsylvania later acquired the borough through eminent domain so it could get the residents safely moved to other areas, though a small handful remain unti last year.

Due to improvements in scientific testing and warning procedures, ghost towns may also occasionally come into being due to an anticipated natural disaster

Because big business move or go out of business. Seeking information on Connecticut Ghost Towns and bury treasures. Please sent info to: Tippy1804@att.net. Thank you

Hunting one in TN now. Court house, jail, 3 hotels, 5 saloons, 10 stores, college, and on and on and now NADA. The town was built near a ferry on the TN River. Literally the powers that be decided they needed a town and laid it out and built it 1812. When coal was discovered in a town near by it pulled much of the labor. Then of coarse the railroad that came with it pretty much ended transportation of cotton, Tobacco, etc via the riverboats. By 1870 it was no longer our county seat and now just a couple of scattered farm homes are all that are in the area. One house original to the period still stands. Most of it are either pasture, or woods. Much of the area around the jail and courthouse are beat to death. I have found several virgin home sites on what would be the outskirts of town. I am dying to get back into one of the sites with my New T2. Just gotta wait till they cut the hay.:clapping:

Because the dang ghosts moved in, don't you know nuttin........couldn't help myself, rough day.

I'd like to hunt ghost towns, but have a hard enough time dirt fishing period, here lately. HH.