Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why would I want to buy an old Explorer these days?

Sven

With all the new modern digital screen ID, multi-fuction, endless adjustment features that are hyped up as the greatest machines yet.
Why would I want to buy an old Explorer these days?

The closest I have gotten to owning such like detector was a Minelab Sov. XS and Elite about 20 years ago. Didn't keep them long.

For the same reason people bought them when they came out...they work. It took Minelab close to 20 years to come out with something that competes, if that says anything...:)

IDXMonster said:
For the same reason people bought them when they came out...they work. It took Minelab close to 20 years to come out with something that competes, if that says anything...:)

I agree 100% FBS is awesome technology I still use my Explorer and eTrac and wont get rid of them. Those two machines give me all the confidence in the world when I go to my locations I am never wasting my time hunting

Sven, FBS detectors are still one of the deepest, most accurate detectors made. In my opinion, they were revolutionary. Their legacy of finds is unprecedented.

Seen, I agree with those folks who posted.

I would like to add that these machines give a unique sound for silver that isn’t present in any machines.
Also, if you get real good using the two screens, TDI and Display, you can nail some really cool stuff.
Oh yeah, they easily eliminate bottle caps, I miss that option.
Tony

I have used many different brands of detectors over the years and in 1999 started using the Minelab Explorer XS. It was technologically superior to anything on the market at that time and still outperforms most detectors on the market today. Every detector has it's strengths and weaknesses. Mostly it's the individual taking the time to really learn the machine. The FBS technology set the benchmark for detectors, that still keeps other manufacturers trying to outdo today. Think Colt 1911 .45 ACP. It's the .45 by which all other .45s are compared. I currently have an SE Pro and an Etrac along with an Equinox 800. The 800 is starting (with a lot of practice) to show it's capable of reaching targets as deep as the FBS detectors. Between 12-15 inches deep in good soil conditions. But the FBS detectors are still relevant 20+ years later. That says a lot for Minelab and all of the different manufacturers today.

Probably because the Explorer 2 has earned the reputation as one of the best detectors ever made to date. .On silver nothing can beat it IMHO. finds gold rings too!.. My own all time favourite machine.

Doctorcoinz, do you have a prescription to help the Exp 2 to loose a few pounds?

I agree with you, probably one of the best ever made.

I don’t understand why they didn’t pass on the tones to the newer machines but hey that’s just my opinion.

Tony NJ

I don't think they could "pass on" the tones especially the silver nuance without actually cloning another explorer 2. That's how unique the machine is. I have owned the CTX 3030 but it lacked the explorer tones that is why i sold the 3030.
The silver tone is out of this world on the explorer 2.

Yes the Explorer 2 can ache the arm up that is why i use it for short (2 hours or less ) hunts mostly.

Sweeping, my guess is that the new Minelab designers didn’t know how good the tones were for finding silvers and just set out to create new machines.

Tony NJ

Sweeping & doctorcoinz : You guys are exactly right. There is something that just stood out, with the Exp. II, on silver coins amidst a plethora of junk, clad, etc.... Almost to the point where you could swear that you could tell silver apart from wheaties (except, of course, if the silver dime was slick-worn ?). The only other machine that got this level of tone-claims, was the mid 1980s Teknetics Mark 1 . It also had very very tell-tale audio. The Exp. II however, went a tad deeper :) And the Exp. II's audio takes a little longer to get used to.