Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will someone air-test their 1500....

A

Anonymous

Mine is air-testing quarters at 9" in both the factory setting (9) and with sens. set at 11 (also 9").... I've always thought that this was kinda' weak for a 9.5" coil.
In my soil I lose around 30% when I 'go to ground'. This would mean quarters at about 6", no mas.
Dimes are hitting at 7" and 8.25" at the two sens. settings... respectively.
Is my machine 'up to snuff'?
Best Regards to all!
Skillet

Some coils will air test deeper than they will go in the ground and some will air test the exact opposite. Try testing it in a bark chip playground where it's easy digging. In good ground you should get a quarter at ten inches, but nine inches ain't nothing to sneeze at.
Bill

I took a dime at the 81/2 to 9 mark on the beach.The id was a little low but made me put the brakes on. It's true!

From my experience, air tests are only an indicater that the machine is turned on or working. Ohat's it! A machine needs some type of matrix to get somewhat of an accurate reading, and I don't feel air is a good matrix at all. A true test is out in the field or a test garden, in your type of soil. The Garrett 1500, and most all other machines, behave differently in different soils/geographical locations. The only other way to really test it is to put it on the scope and make any final pod adjustments as neccessary. Do things go out of wack? Probably. Lots of swinging,banging, temperature changes, component changes, oxidation etc. all play into any electronic PCB. When a coil or electronic problem happened on my machines, it was real obvious something was wrong.
So, I don't thing that there is anything wrong with your unit.

What I am asking for here is a coupla' benchtests for comparison as my machine SEEMS a little weak.
Believe me, I understand the limitations of air-tests and I have made conclusions on their usefulness based on carefully monitored observations, both mine and those made by others.
One use they have is in monitoring the sensitivity of your machines over a period of time as well as helping to tweak your machine for better performance in the field.
I have yet to use a machine that would detect a coin in the ground deeper than it will in the air and in the ground where I hunt the decrease in distance is considerable.
While your opinions are valued and greatly appreciated, all I'm really asking for is for someone to bench test their 1500 and tell me how far out they can bang a quarter at factory sensitivity.
Best Regards and HH to all!