Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wish List for Next Garrett Apex Update

DIG5050

What would all of the Garrett Apex owners like to see included in the next Garrett Apex Update?

I do not work for Garrett, and I cannot say that there will be another update anytime soon, but if there is one in the works, and many of the Garrett Apex users collectively comment, perhaps the powers to be at Garrett will consider the most popular requests and incorporate some of those into the next update.

Here are a few items that would make the detector a whole lot more useful in the field.

1. Adjustable Recovery Speed - Maybe a three or five step adjustable Recovery Speed with the current Recovery Speed being in the middle or upper end of the range. It would allow the machine to be more selective in trashy spots without necessarily resorting to a smaller coil. The current VDI digits could be used to allow the Recovery Speed setting to be adjusted up or down and represented as r1, r2, r3, etc.. Assuming there are no hardware limitations preventing this, a simple addition to the menu loop could implement this feature.

2. A Mute Function - When trying to use a pin pointer (standard or Z-Lynk) on the target, getting rid of EMI induced beeping in the headphones would be a real blessing. Tap the PP button or another button to mute the detector, tap the same button again to restore sound from the detector.

3. Progressive length "Iron On" Sound - As the "Iron On" sound is presently designed, makes it nearly useless to hunt in a coins mode with the "Iron On" sound enabled. As the "Iron On" volume is turned down, make the length of the "Iron On" sound shorter in duration. Turned Up, it would lengthen. No menu item would be needed for this.

4. Enable the LED Backlight Briefly During Detection Mode Changes - Garrett added the LED Backlight "on" during menu changes in 1.28 and slightly earlier versions, but skipped over the detection mode changes. Knowing what mode you have selected while hunting at dusk or dawn would be helpful.

If Apex users all suggest items and we can get the attention of Garrett, maybe Garrett will pick and choose the most popular on the list, and show their customers that they listen to suggestions from their users. Ultimately it will make the Apex an even better detector, and give them thought for future versions of the Apex in any form.

A good topic, and I have my comments but will respond to those you made in numerical order:

1.. Recovery Speed:I own and use 3 Apex devices, getting my first as soon as they were introduced. I hunt a wide range of site environments and generally find the Apex recovery speed to be functional, however I only use the Custom mode with my preferred Disc. acceptance settings.

What would work for me would be an approach to design in a 'functionality Recovery Speed for the different default mode options. Let Coin and US Coins have one best pick RS, and assign different RS settings for Relic and Zero modes.

All the Custom mode is currently is the Disc. acceptance break point based on one of the other modes. With different RS settings applied, you simply select the mode with the desired RS and then adjust your Custom Discrimination settings.

2.. Mute Function: I am OK with that, but as I stated, I have 3 Apex devices and they each have their own set of MS-3 headphones and Z-Lynk Pinpointers and I do not have any EMI issues.

3.. Iron Audio Function: Ii do not have a problem because I never use it 'On' for regular hunting. I only activate it momentatilly when desired to double-check some questionable targets I encounter.

4.. Momentary Backlight with Target Detection: I gl al I ng although that idea.

5.. Small Coil Desired: A variable RS doesn't always mean a bigger coil behaves like a smaller coil.

I have been avidly detecting for almost 57 years, and ever since the summer of '68 I have favored smaller-size search coils. Since '83 I have devoted the bulk of my hunt-time to working in and around very dense Iron debris a nd smaller coils rule.

I would really like to see Garrett make their 4.5" Concentric for the Apex, or perhaps a 5" or nl more than 6", round-shaped coil especially of Concentric design.

Monte

Thanks Monte. Glad to hear from you. Your comments are welcomed.

I’ve been using the Apex for a year now and I like it as well. I have found a lot of coins and relics with it. I think there is room for improvement so I hope others comment like you have.

If we can get Garrett to listen and respond, and maybe you’ll be able to help greatly with that! 😉

1) I like the imaging (sizing) that was available on the older GTI models. Once you learned to use it properly and it's limitations, it was a coin/jewelry hunter's dream machine.

2) Water submersible. It's makes a detector so much more versatile. The APEX works well in salt water, so lets make it submersible.

3) Removable batteries. I like to hunt with an extra battery back-up just in case they die on me.

4) A true all metal mode with ID. That extra depth can be a bonus!

Last edited: