Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Woohoo.Got my CoRes. Now a tracking question.

knack4iron

Love the feel of this machine. Been tinkering with it love it on the bench. But at the bench you don't find anything so I'm gonna try it out this afternoon in the back yard which is an old housesite from the 50's-60's. I've dug some stuff using the Atpro and Vaquaro out there. And its alot of trash and nails. SO the question is. When I run DI2 or DI3 should I turn ON the ground tracking or OFF, since I'm more coin hunting in trash?

I treat it like I do my MXT Pro or Racer. I lock the tracking ie: find a clean spot, GB the machine and leave the tracking in the lock position especially since you mention a lot of "trash and nails". If I remember correctly the manual, I think, suggests leaving the tracking in lock while hunting in most applications. LOL now I gotta go back and look at the manual again. But I always hunt with the tracking locked. You can easily reground balance once in awhile if needed. I find in the trashier areas that hunting in DI3 is best. I usually run the sens at 70 and the ID masking at 10 and listen for the mid and high tones. If the Iron grunts are a bit much for you , you can run the ID Mask up to around 23 to knock out most nails etc and will quiet the machine a bit. Maybe Monte or JFlynn or a few others that have more hours on this machine then I do will throw in their 2 cents worth. I had a CoRe machine and traded it and actually have been using the Racer ( about the same machines as far as performance and settings) I did acquire another Fors CoRe pro pak and will be picking it up Friday. I really do like the ergonomics of the CoRe machine over the Racer especially when using the larger coils and now they will be offering a 5.5 x 10 coil as well for the CoRe machine, a great coil in my opinion. Does a great job in trashy areas and is enclosed, so doesn't snag on stubble etc. To this day I have never used the 11 x 7 coil that came with the Racer, only the 5.5 x 10 and the small OOR coil.
gregg

Guess what I should have said is "turn tracking off" I am so used to the MXT's .....I lock the GB and don't let it auto track especially while hunting trashy iron infested sites.
gregg

Ok. Makes sense. I had read where monte ran his in the off position then when in open areas turned it on. Appreciate it. gonna go try it right now.THanks.

The only thing/downfall with the tracking is it will like a lot of other machines just adjust the target right out of the picture if you scan it a lot. In light to medium trash it will adjust the balance off too thinking the mutitude of targets is minerals. The reason I see is it adjusts pretty fast compared to most. I'd leave it off not unless I was in almost a target free environment where you hit something every few minutes. Don't count out just leaving it where it comes on at. I've got places that there's no way to do a ground balance per there's just so much stuff and I just don't balance it at all just leave it at the startup setting of 90. Still works superbly at the default balance. If I'm in a place where I possibly can balance it and it well doesn't sound like it normally does a quick GB will get it back in the picture again. Done that many times.

Thanks.Thats what I was thinking. I've been keeping it off while going around the yard. Lots of little pieces of roofing and aluminum. Looking for to getting it into some campsites. The machine feels great and hits fast and hard on small stuff. Dug some of my old .22 hulls. I've got tot get a pinpointer I guess. Its really sensitive even on 50.

excellent, multi-purpose detector. Just make sure you use the best coil for the site conditions, determine the more functional settings and mode choice to satisfy you, then go have fun!

knack4iron said:
[size=medium]Love the feel of this machine.[/size]
One of the best balanced detectors offered today, especially that use a [size=small](to me)[/size] bigger-size standard search coil for working more open sites. Well balanced with that stock 7X11 DD, to be sure. :thumbup:

knack4iron said:
[size=medium]Been tinkering with it love it on the bench. But at the bench you don't find anything so I'm gonna try it out this afternoon in the back yard which is an old housesite from the 50's-60's. I've dug some stuff using the Atpro and Vaquaro out there. And its alot of trash and nails.[/size]
Well, your AT Pro gave you the option of Automated Ground Balance or Manual Ground Balance, and your Vaquero was Manual Ground Balance only, and now you have all three possible options.:

Manual GB
Automated GB
Auto-Tracking GB

Most of the time I rely on the Automated GB adjustment as it is quick, simple and accurate for most sites. Sometimes I am inclined to make a slight Manual GB adjustment for a few locations just to give me a sight edge. This is because the bulk of the time, like 90% or more, I am searching in either the Di2 or Di3 Discriminate modes, and only opting to search on the 'GEN' traditional Threshold-based All Metal mode now and then, such as working some plowed fields, etc. Even then, I prefer to use an Automated GB as a general rule.

knack4iron said:
[size=medium]SO the question is. When I run DI2 or DI3 should I turn ON the ground tracking or OFF, since I'm more coin hunting in trash? [/size]
The ANSWER to that question is easy.

Please refer to the Nokta FORS Coin & Relic Owner's Manual, Page 19, the single-sentence 3rd paragraph under Ground Tracking.

Use of the Auto-Tracking circuitry should ONLY be in the GEN All Metal mode. It is NOT recommended for any of the three motion-based Discriminate modes.

Pretty easy answer from me, this time. :thumbup:

Monte

Thanks MOnte. Pulled the manual out again last night and yep. Gonna save that mode for relic hunting. Watched the dvd again too.

knack4iron said:
Thanks MOnte. Pulled the manual out agait night and yep. Gonna save that mode for relic hunting. Watched the dvd again too.

Knack4iron- first of all let me say this...I LOVE YOUR SCREEN NAME and reading your information under your name. Freaking awesome. I wish I had found even 1 or 2 of your whole shells over these years. So stunning cool.

The CoRe is one of my favorite machines that I currently use. I have an XLT that we have used for years in relic hunting, have had good luck with the GBPro, but hasn't had the best luck lately with the CoRe, and am hoping to try my luck with the v3i as well next.

I'll have more to say on the CoRe, but my phone battery is dying.

Talk soon,
Bubba

That XLT is no sloutch either. I used the rainbow one back in the early 2000's for 3 years and dug that CS plate in my avatar with it. Sold that plate for $8K cash. DUg alot of shells and some really nice stuff with the XLT. I'm really loving this CoRes now. Been out about 4 hours total and just hitting some local schools to get familiar with the machine and sounds. ANd it amazes me the ability to hit the nickles. I'd dug about 20 in spots I've hit with the ATP and Vaquero. And about another $4 in Q's. I've been running it in DI3-60power-Masking 40. I can't wait to get this thing in the woods in some campsites and see what Gen-Mode will do on deep iron and the DI2 campzones. May have to pop for that 15x13 coil for shell.

Knack4iron, agreed. In the plowed fields, I like hunting in the GEN mode for max depth. But after learning from Monte and others, I hunt with ground tracking in the off position. I like the Di2 mode relic hunting, but had just as much luck hunting in Di3 mode with sensitivity rocking towards the top. But in GEN mode, I have learned to listen for those faint deep whispers in the threshold. And you are right, I have a first generation rainbow XLT that I have used exclusively in our limited hunting areas in Kentucky. Even in Di3, I found an iron grape shot 15 inches down with the stock coil on the CoRe. Fwiw, that stock coil is still my all around favorite for separation and size/weight combo. And in GEN mode, I have found very small brass, deep.

If you are hunting wide open fields, try out that big coil for sure ( maybe a little more depth, but more coverage for sure) and that small OOR truly is surgical in dense trash or iron when looking for goodies. If you want a hunting partner, let me know buddy!

I'm in Indiana, but I'm good for a road trip south! :)

Bubba

I like the stock coil on here but seen they also make the big and a little 5" one too. Hows the depth on the little one on coins? Anyone tried it on the Cores?

The small coil is a MUST have, sell a child, mortgage the house, be a plasma donor, get one! Nothing can touch these detectors with the small coil attached for seperation. Nothing at all.

JFlynn said:
The small coil is a MUST have, sell a child, mortgage the house, be a plasma donor, get one! Nothing can touch these detectors with the small coil attached for seperation. Nothing at all.

Jack is right. In trash and iron, and especially when looking for coins, this is a MUST HAVE

BUBBA

JFlynn said:

lol I like the way yu made your point.