Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WOT coil for the Excalibur

A

Anonymous

I would like to know if anyone can tell me what a WOT coil is and if it can be used on an Excalibur 800. How well does it work on dry/wet sand and under water? Is it better (deeper detection, more area covered) than the factory coil?
Who can install it on an Excalibur?
Thanks,
Surfline

Hey Brian,
I have had a WOT on my Excal for almost two years and haven't put another coil on since. To answer your question, the WOT is a 15" coil made by Coiltec company out of Australia. They call it WOT, which stands for Wonderful Orange Thing. The link I put at the bottom will take you to Doc's web site, he's a forum sponsor and a really nice guy.
On his site, he also has instructions on two way to connect the coil, either with a waterproof connector so that you can switch coils, or instructions on how to hard wire it right into the control housing. The instructions also come when you buy the coil.
As for performance, like I said earlier, I haven't used another coil for two years. The 15" WOT gives you lots of coverage when sweeping back and forth, it does go deep, and it picks up the small stuff.
Good luck,
-Rich
Here's a pic of some of the good stuff I found using the WOT:

has alot of surface drag on it when in the water, and you'd better have strong arms. Plus, if you hunt the surf zone, it will go deeper than you'll be able to dig in moving sand (i.e. waves will fill hole faster than you can dig). But its a great coil for wet and dry sand zone.
HH Dan in SJ

I wouldn't even think of putting anything bigger than the 10 inch, if your using it submerged.
If you've made your mind up and have to have a large coil, and will not be submerging it deeper than your elbow,the SunRay S12 would be my choice. It will go deeper than you want to dig and is great on small items. Once you put a coil bigger than 12" on, you'll find that you'll probably kick it as you walk.
If you do decide to get an S12 make sure it's not one of the earlier ones with the light gray cable and no strain relief at the coil. The cable is brittle and will crack right where it connects to the coil. The improved ones have the more flexible "black" cable and a strain relief connector.
Please let the forum know what you end up choosing and how it worked out for you. HH

Great coil !!! Gets great depth but my gray cable cracked right at the coil couldn't be replaced.
HH
Donna(NJ)

I'm starting to get back out on the beach. Maybe I'll hit PP some tide and run into ya.

WOT is great on the excal. Have you tried a bill babs shaft. One heck of a combo. Just wish mine still worked....

I would like to thank everyone for their input on the WOT coil for the Excal. I have not made any changes to the Excal yet, but I am considering it. Houndawgg is advising against it. Rich in Virginia beach thinks it's a good idea. I would like to directly compare the coils, perhaps by using a connector. I will keep everyone posted.
Thanks again,
Surfline