Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

X-Terra 50 .... Today

Didn't get permission to hunt this site until after lunch today because the owner of the property drove up about the time I was leaving the old school grounds. He lived across the highway from the school and was curious when he saw me detecting and drove over to see what I was up to :)
He said that when he purchased his property at auction in 1919 that the county clerk had told him a story of about 20 Confederate soldiers that once camped on the farm for 3 day's. I asked him if he knew where they might have camped and he said SURE ... he pointed towards a big pond and said they camped on the bottom side under them big ole Oaks.
I followed him to his place and he asked me to come inside and meet his wife. She was a pleasant old soul and poured me a glass of tea, she then asked me if I ever really find anything with "that thing" and I went thru the usual explanation of what I like to hunt for, coins, relics and so on. She grabbed my hand and walked me into a hallway and pointed at a OLD picture of the farm ... it was a picture taken while the soldiers were there. According to her, the previous owner of the place was the last of his generation and had left it and all of his family portraits along with furniture etc.
Anyway, I went outside and got geared up. I walked to the bottom side of the pond and fired up the X-Terra in all metal.
Started pulling silver hits right away, dimes, quarters, a old knife handle with some kind of engraving on it. I pulled a kids toy car that was elbow deep. The brass thing looks like a funnel with a hinge on it that sill works, it's the 2nd. one of these I've found in this area. The buckle is silver plated and it was right on the edge of the oaks. About dead center of the oaks I pulled 3 bullets and the rivet. The bullets were around 9" deep and gave a nice " dig me sound", the rivet was only 4" deep and sounded like a coin on edge .. real good with the coil tilted up.
The halfs were found not far from where I found the buffs, close to a thorn patch where he said there used to be a pier that rotted away.
Don't think the soldiers left much behind but it was worth a shot and all the silver was nice to dig. I offered whatever pickings the folks wanted out of today's hunt and the gentleman reached down and picked up one of the bullets and said he would put it on his mantle for a keep sake :) said he had gallons of silver dollars and halfs already.
They told me to come visit and detect anytime I wanted, I thanked them and said I would do just that !
It was a GOOD DAY of detecting and meeting some nice folks.
H.H.
Mike

Going back will only allow you to find more goodies plus spending time with the old folks....They enjoy those type of visits......HH

Take my words for it, this kind of spot in NOT typical for my surroundings. Slowly but surely I'm finding new spots to hunt around here. I'm fairly new to this area although I grew up 60 miles from here but lived in Florida for 20 plus years in between.
That old school I mentioned, I hit it with a Sovereign GT earlier this year, as far I know it had not been detected before.
Yes indeed, a Sweet Virgin Site :)
I found over 100 silver coins there from late 1880's thru early 50's, halfs, quarters, 1/2 dimes and a 20 cent piece, 2 cent piece,V nickels,buffalos, and a nice mix of other goodies mixed in.
All of that in a strip 40' wide by 60' long where a concrete road had been removed.
Very few places are this productive around here though and I wear them out and then hit them again later, you never get it all.
H.H.
Mike

Days like that it does not matter what machine you are using. You had a great time, met some wonderful folks and made some very good finds. I'd bet that day will live in your memory forever.

That was also very thoughful of you to offer them their choice of finds. That you are welcome back anytime speaks a lot! Get to know those folks better and I'd bet they can give you a lot of info on some other great older sites in the area.

Great job All around Mike!

HH Tom

n/t