Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

xl pro or exterra 50

Rob (IL)

I've got a whites 6000 di series 3. I want to buy a new detector but can only afford one. I will be hunting mostly coins not prospecting. Would a whites xl pro, which is an improved version of what I have, or a minelab exterra 50 be better? Why? I know whites is dropping the xl. I know there is someone out there who has used both. I wish he would give me an honest answer. I need the help.

I have not used the XT-50 and it is highly doubtful I will ever give one a try but here is what you might see when comparing it to the XL Pro.

Depth.. maybe deeper than the Whites but you will be digging lots of bouncing numbers to get the deeper stuff. Throw that good solid ID you are used to out the window. You could probably do just as well by paying attention to the audio on the XL Pro, going by that rather any VDI reading.

The only things I can see to justify the 50 over the XL Pro would be its ability to be swept slower with better seperation in trash. Of course you will have to wait for ML to come out with a smaller coil to really take advantage of that. The posters are saying that the 9" coil does good for its size in trash, but I wonder just how many of the targets they are getting would not have been seen by the "moderate" sweep of the XL Pro using the 8" coil?

NO timetable has been set for additional coils at the lower frequency. Other than the obvious differences of tone ID, accept/reject settings ect.,I think that about covers it.

I hope Monte weighs in here as I would like to hears his thoughts on what he has seen so far comparing these two models.

Tom

First and foremost the XL pro in its old heavy SL version and now the lightweight model has proven itself for years.
X-terras are the new kids on the block and only time will tell.
Whites has the best most accurate analog meter on the planet but it has no notches or tone ID's so one becomes a bobblehead looking at the meter.Minelab has a digital meter without the precise accuracy.
Minelab has notches and tone id's to which I like to give one an idea what they have without constantly looking at the meter.
I like the stock Minelab coil over the Whites stock coil which is a dinosaur to me.
Minelab is lighter and is more battery friendly with only 4 batteries.
Never thought the Whites was the deepest and feel the Minelab will be a deeper unit.
Really feel you should visit a multi line dealer to compare and no one can really tell you which one as this has to be your call.

I'd like Monte to answer this post or my email. I really could use the advise.