Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

XP Deus ---- Does it Float???

It might with the controller well sealed and kept dry.

The the stem and coil alone might float with enough air trapped in the stem/handle and coil.

Perhaps we should fill a bath with water and try it out.:rolleyes:

It cant do any harm thats for sure.Jerry.

The coil is not bouyant and with the shaft open, air is quickly displaced. Since you can't seal the housing and keep it on the shaft, that would not be an issue either.

An option many have gone with is one of the various waterproof cases / bags for iPods. Many have waterproof headphone plugs that allow you to use ear buds or any set of phones you prefer (I likle teh ear buds to avoid dunking a high priced set).

I have mine setup with thisoption and simply clip it to my lanyard (it is made by Grace and is called ECO Waterproof Pod Case) . . . . others use the setup that straps to your arm that are available for less money and do a great job for water hunting or searching in a rainstorm. But with the housing off the shaft, you are swinging under 2 pounds with very little drag in the water (I have only used the stock coil - not the larger one due to the drag it would generate).

Hope this helps

Andy Sabisch

It looks like theres a square hole in the inside back of that case. Do you find it difficult to maintain signal on the rec end of the antennae, with the gap thats created between the back side of that hard case and the antennae? I ask this because Ive noticed the antennae location wedged on the back side of my ipod bag, can make a difference in smooth vs crackly operation. Also... Do you have to open that box up to make prog changes ?
I have my 9" mounted on a lower Tesoro rod, and set up a straight shaft for water hunting, to keep the factory XP shaft looking good. Straight shafts also work better for "me", so thats a win-win overall.

Andy Sabisch said:
The coil is not bouyant and with the shaft open, air is quickly displaced. Since you can't seal the housing and keep it on the shaft, that would not be an issue either.

An option many have gone with is one of the various waterproof cases / bags for iPods. Many have waterproof headphone plugs that allow you to use ear buds or any set of phones you prefer (I likle teh ear buds to avoid dunking a high priced set).

I have mine setup with thisoption and simply clip it to my lanyard (it is made by Grace and is called ECO Waterproof Pod Case) . . . . others use the setup that straps to your arm that are available for less money and do a great job for water hunting or searching in a rainstorm. But with the housing off the shaft, you are swinging under 2 pounds with very little drag in the water (I have only used the stock coil - not the larger one due to the drag it would generate).

Hope this helps

Andy Sabisch

Hi Andy,
With the coil in the water and its ability to transmit to the module being severly limited I understand that an antenna cable needs to be close to the coil and also the module. How does one deal with the problem by having the module strapped to ones arm or with it in a pocket or somewhere like that.

Bill

Bill

Yes, since the detector "guts" are in the coil, you need to add an antenna to the coil so that it transmits to the control unit (if you want to use that waterproofed) or the XP headphones . Since I hunt my sound in the water (set the tones based on the targets I am looking for), I do not need to see the box itself. You can get one of the iPod cases that straps to your upper arm (runners use them) that is also waterprrof and has a earbud type jack that you can plug phones into - then you can glance over at the display to get the target ID information if desired.

I've heard some have a flexible face that allows you to adjust the controls inside the case.

At this time you have to make your own antenna which is pretty easy but there will be one available from XP in teh near future for those that want to use the Deus in shallow water.

Hope this helps

Andy Sabisch

Andy Sabisch said:
Bill

Yes, since the detector "guts" are in the coil, you need to add an antenna to the coil so that it transmits to the control unit (if you want to use that waterproofed) or the XP headphones . Since I hunt my sound in the water (set the tones based on the targets I am looking for), I do not need to see the box itself. You can get one of the iPod cases that straps to your upper arm (runners use them) that is also waterprrof and has a earbud type jack that you can plug phones into - then you can glance over at the display to get the target ID information if desired.

I've heard some have a flexible face that allows you to adjust the controls inside the case.

At this time you have to make your own antenna which is pretty easy but there will be one available from XP in teh near future for those that want to use the Deus in shallow water.

Hope this helps

Andy Sabisch

Thanks Andy,
If you have the module strapped to your arm, or wherever, does the antenna wire/cable that comes from near the coil need to be strapped to your arm, or wherever, near the module in order for the module to read the info coming from the coil.

Bill

Bill,

As long as the antenna is within 2 feet or so from the unit, it works fine - I clip the unit in the case to my web belt and run the headphones out of the water. I have someone I talked to in Germany that uses it strapped to his arm and he sais he gets a signal with the antenna connected the same way mine is.

Does this answer your question?

Andy