Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

York Redoubt and Devil's Hill Battery

A

Anonymous

From the land of the Bluenose....never a shoot fired in anger! This is the common cry of all the fortifications found throughout the Halifax Harbour and surrounding areas. Since the completion of the first outpost on top of Citadel Hill by the British in the mid seventeen hundreds this holds fast.
Citadel Hill (great military museum there now) was rebuilt in response to the French at Louisburg while York Redoubt was built at a later date to guard the mouth of Halifax Harbour as was the batteries and forts on McNab's Island (did a story on that one for Eastern and Western Treasure) which unfortunately are all off limits per say to the detecting community. One that escapes the protection of the "archies" is a little known battery , Devil's Hill which now is turned into a playground.
Many a pleasant day has been spent here wandering around the footpaths , climbing up the cliffs, and walking the old military road while of course swinging a coil. A very demanding place to detect as one has to deal with backfill within the walls of the battery, thorn bushes, rough terrain and of course the ever present junk and buried garbage. For those into military finds this spot has the chance of finding musket balls, hat badges and buttons. Most of the insignias are that of the 3 horizontal cannons which I'm not sure represents artillery or ordinace corps.
The photo (link) was taken as I was fishing for macheral on my brothers "pleasure craft the "Tequilla Sunrise" and shows the remains of a battery within York Redubt. Have given all my military finds to a hunting buddy so when I find a few this summer will post them.
Not far from Devil's Hill is the site of the old quarry which boasts Canada's first railroad where cut stone was transported to build the local fortifications. The railroad bed can be followed as far back as Spryfield Lake and is a great hiking trail for those just wanting to get away from it all. More recently the trail has been the scene of some heavy duty mountain biking. Interesting finds have been made along this trail!
Just a kilometer away from the quarry is what is known locally as the "Big Tree" which marks the road back to another lake that was used for hundreds of years to cut ice in the winter . One of the few gold sovereigns that has been found detecting has come from this old road which is now just about impassable after Hurricane Juan's unwanted visit. Always take my summer guests on a dig here but have to use a back door approach to the old dam at the end.