Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

You can't make this up. (Infinium Find )

Dancer

While finishing up a hunt decided to slip into a small hole, poke around a little. Couple of tabs, couple nickels, then a good signal where the Surf breaks.
Two scoops pulled out a large coin stained black. I thought naw, can't be. Well it was and after a few days soaking in salt & white vinegar. A beautiful 1922 Silver Peace Dollar. Great condition. This was off a heavily sanded in beach, which hardly ever produces. Couldn't believe the lack of dings and wear marks, yet heavily stained.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_090905_kindlephoto-120230803.jpg
    IMG_20200111_090905_kindlephoto-120230803.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 160
:surprised: Amazing find Dancer!!

That works fine for nickles and clad, but generally you just try to restore the shiny appearance, in most cases to use in everyday commerce.
Both those chemicals are corrosive, and together even more so. Salt blackens silver, and even adds greenish deposits (the same as chlorine will.)
Try electrolysis; even hard deposits will often fall off (use baking soda as the electrolyte, and rinse after.)
The harshest chemical I ever use on silver is Jewel Luster; I dip it and then rinse it a few seconds later.

vlad said:
That works fine for nickles and clad, but generally you just try to restore the shiny appearance, in most cases to use in everyday commerce.
Both those chemicals are corrosive, and together even more so. Salt blackens silver, and even adds greenish deposits (the same as chlorine will.)
Try electrolysis; even hard deposits will often fall off (use baking soda as the electrolyte, and rinse after.)
The harshest chemical I ever use on silver is Jewel Luster; I dip it and then rinse it a few seconds later.

Vlad, Got any idea how long it it might've took to turn it black. Probably too many variables, huh.

Being in dirt or water, which contains plant matter can speed it up.
Silver oxidizes faster in places with a lot of light and humidity. But it can turn other colors too (like a rainbow.) Often chemicals in paper (coin sleeves) can cause this and
also sunlight. Contact with products like cosmetics, perfume, deodorant, lotion, bleach or soaps can speed up the process.
The natural oils that your skin produces is affected by foods you eat, liquids consumption, meds and tobacco. They make your skin acidic
and we also naturally produce ammonia.
https://blog.ha.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1881-S-Morgan-silver-dollar_Heritage-Auctions.jpg
(some collectors will pay a premium for toned coins)

his is absolutely correct. I collect Morgans. Morgans were produced in huge numbers for political reasons. To keep the western politicians happy by keeping the silver prices artificially high by the government buying and minting more silver morgans than was needed. They were then stored at the mint and then at all the post offices because there was no demand for them. The sulfer in the bags caused the rainbow effect on morgans stored in contact with the sides of the bags.

The morgans are such beautiful coins because of toning and the fact that a huge number never got circulated.

maxxkatt said:
his is absolutely correct. I collect Morgans. Morgans were produced in huge numbers for political reasons. To keep the western politicians happy by keeping the silver prices artificially high by the government buying and minting more silver morgans than was needed. They were then stored at the mint and then at all the post offices because there was no demand for them. The sulfer in the bags caused the rainbow effect on morgans stored in contact with the sides of the bags.

The morgans are such beautiful coins because of toning and the fact that a huge number never got circulated.

Yeah Maxx, How about the Junk their passing off as dollar coins these days. They stain up sitting in your pocket. No one knows what they are when you use them. Crap.

You get some surprises here in Fl......... me and a hunting buddy was hitting a beach in the water last week and he pulled out what he thought was a foreign coin. BUT.... it ended up being a V nickel. Congrats on the BIG silver.

Sweet find I found one in 2018 along with my first Morgan 1883 months apart the Morgan had a walker a foot away from it! I thought it was going to be another Morgan lol!