Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

0 disc ??

Mountain Mike

I notice that a lot of veteran Deus users use 0 disc in their programs. Why is that? I read that the Deus does not lose any depth with disc up to 10 but I have not experimented. Are they looking to find iron or is it something else. Would your iron volume work at 0 disc? Just wondering.

I hunt old homesteads, railroad lines, etc. I have been hunting with the Deus about 2 years now. 0 disc, full tones, -1 silencer, 18 khz. Seperation and unmasking in heavy iron nails, scrap tin, iron spikes etc seems to work best for me with that setting. I work slow in the heavy iron with them settings listening for any tones to investigate outside all the grunting.

I find no reason to hunt with zero discrim. I don't believe the loss of the horse shoe functions is an advantage. As you have read there is no apriecable loss of depth up to 10 discrim. I personally hunt between 6 and 10 depending on the site conditions. It's the silencer that will rob you of depth. Keep your sensitivity 85 and above your frequency at 8 or 11 for coin sized targets in the USA. Reactivity at 1 or 2 unless very heavy trash. There will be plenty more posts telling you what to do for sure fire settings. Pick from them all and find the best ones for you.

I do hunt in a lot of iron. The old homesteads here in the mountains all seem to have a blanket of nails. Thanks for the input I am definitely listening to all opinions.

Perhaps you don't loose depth at discrimination 10, I have found you can loose signal clarity on deep targets, especially if you search iron contaminated sites. Use 10 but don't ignore deep sounding "clipped" signals. Audio response settings play a large part when you want to hear audio depth.

For best results try to match your sweep speed to the reactivity setting, reactivity 3 is the most popular.
There are 10 tuitional videos on the XP web site.
www.xpmetaldetectors.com

Welgund has a good set up for iron I think.

I have hunted both ways,, disc O full tones, and 3 tones disc 6.

You will find more nonferrous targets in heavy iron using full tones 0 disc.

I have compared signals over some of the toughest signals acquire with full tones 0'disc.

One thing you'll notice is a more clipped tone,,,and sometimes when running say disc level 6--- you will notice signals where horseshoe rocks back and forth,,, and can be fooled thinking iron---- but go to full tones 0 disc you will definitely hear a good target.

I have been digging also some rather deep targets using full tones 0 disc even a reactivity 3 silencer -1.

Full tones 0 disc gets my vote in heavy iron,,, besides why did Xp give us this with a new version release if it didn't add any performance advantage????

Very impressive using full tones, 0 disc.

And I should add for the folks with both the 9 and 11" coils,,,,if you hunt a site loaded with iron with 9" coil,,if you have an 11" coil,, put it on and go back--- I have been finding some nice relics by doing,,,I think the 11" coil is picking up disc like items on edge at times that the 9" coil is stifling with.

Cheers

I also prefer 0 Discrim in the heavy iron. Not because of additional depth but because you will get a cleaner signal on an iron masked target. But a little bit of Discrim will actually make the iron sound more like iron.

When using Full tones it may be worth noting these tips..

Disc 0 you will hear ground feedback and notice ground changes, some people mistake this noise for EMI.
Disc 1 eliminates ground feedback.
Disc 5 eliminates most nails and medium Iron.
A deep target can sometimes give a different tone when its on the surface.
Good Silver gives a solid high tone like a cat meowing when it's deep.

Deep targets - Audio response....Its there to help give an audio perception of target depth and size.

If your hunting for deep targets don't be tempted to use high audio gain numbers because deep targets can sound like iron. Audio gain of 3 can soften the deep targets giving you more audio information.
A soft sounding broken sound is worth investigating.
A loud broken target is probably iron.

Good luck out in the field.

I agree with Gary B on this and find
the Reactive causes tone clipping too...
but it is necessary in the trash...
Also the Audio response kept lower
will offer more feedback as suggested above
Best thing to do is take the time to do some
testing on site... only way to learn....
There's a dozen ways to the same result
with the Deus find what works best in your
situation...
That's why I made up Rule # 1 don't expect
someone else's program to work for you!

Very true....Hey how about rule #2, only adjust something if it needs adjusting.
Rule #3 anyone ?

I am going to get out today and do some detecting. I will try to mark some targets and compare disc 6 to disc 0 in full tones and really listen. I will assume most of you are using 18kz when using 0 disc..
If that is not the case let me know. I need to try some different things to see what works for me but that's half the fun.

I never use 18 kHz with 0 Discrim......I tried it but it never seem to give me a better audio signal as compared to 8 or 12 kHz. But I know there are times when 18 kHz will be the frequency of choice.

Rule #3: Know your site conditions and adjust your settings accordingly.

I also rarely use 18k...
I think the purpose of 18k was the narrow band of
really small targets, predominantly gold, in likeness to
the dedicated Gold machines that all use the higher
frequencies....

Top of the line coin machines have been in the lower frequencies for decades,
was all their research, testing and development really in error?

and I don't believe there's a "Do-all" "goto" program anymore...

They took the time and went to the trouble of making this machine
adaptable to whatever site conditions and target desires may exist...

Getting locked into any one program is like handcuffing
the Deus and this new, for us, ability to customize

I used to have a "Goto" program, it was what they built into the "other" machines....
then I bought a Deus and immediately tried to build one for it but it won't
work.... it just keeps morphing to whatever new tweaks work so I
have found I have to remain flexible because the Deus is flexible.....
I know.... change is hard sometimes

Gary-B said:
When using Full tones it may be worth noting these tips..

Disc 0 you will hear ground feedback and notice ground changes, some people mistake this noise for EMI.
Disc 1 eliminates ground feedback.
Disc 5 eliminates most nails and medium Iron.
A deep target can sometimes give a different tone when its on the surface.
Good Silver gives a solid high tone like a cat meowing when it's deep.

Deep targets - Audio response....Its there to help give an audio perception of target depth and size.

If your hunting for deep targets don't be tempted to use high audio gain numbers because deep targets can sound like iron. Audio gain of 3 can soften the deep targets giving you more audio information.
A soft sounding broken sound is worth investigating.
A loud broken target is probably iron.

Good luck out in the field.

Good info Gary!

o disc and full tones works good. but its better with 3.5-5 disc to help ID LOW CONDUCTORS

if the ground is not to bad lower your disc if its bad keep it around 5 disc FULL TONES

takes some getting use to, not for every one, and not for every hunt !!

here is a V-NICKEL that full tone snagged

bob

HI MIKE

for me mike wide open with 0 disc. no notch !! now with my DEUS FAST i will notch some , pull-tab and maybe 0-30 i look 4 a happy medium in 12 khz-17khz

on them pull tab but i dont want to disc out NICKELS !! notch is a good thing wen there is lots of a things like pull tabs and old shotgun brass that is makeing you crazy!

but be carefull useing notch you will leave some good targets behind ( 4 me ). running a all-metal program is good for them sm. gold targets.0 disc my low cond. program

try any and all things to see how you and the DEUS get on

bob

DISC 5 SENS 90 FREQ 17.6 IRON VOL 0 REACTIV 3 AUDIO RESP 3 NOTCH 0. FULL TONES TH POWER 2 SILENCER 1
I FIND IT WORKS VERY WELL ON MOST GROUND CONDITIONS,