Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

$.07 a plug....

gunwolf

this is my second trip to the bank this year, a few months ago I rolled $140... I haven't been "cladding" as much but just rolled $101.50 this trip... and if my math is correct ( I am really bad) 1,430 coins... which averages out to around .07 each recovery... not really free money if I'm working for it... but I'll take it!
Gem4HeA.jpg

this is my second trip to the bank this year, a few months ago I rolled $140... I haven't been "cladding" as much but just rolled $101.50 this trip... and if my math is correct ( I am really bad) 1,430 coins... which averages out to around .07 each recovery... not really free money if I'm working for it... but I'll take it!
Gem4HeA.jpg
Every little bit helps pay for &/or support the hobby! Ma

It’s 100% tax free 😁

not really free money if I'm working for it..
We'd all have to change jobs if we considered the hobby work. :lol: Actually, I may have to move over to your neck of the woods. Just did a little quick math on my coins so far for the year and my average is .06 per recovery. May have to start passing on some of the zinc's. Keep in mind, the occasional piece of silver and gold helps the recovery average a bit, too. Anyway, good haul! HH jim tn

I roll, it's part of the hobbie for me. Sell at end of the year. Finding less fresh drops in my area and hunting down clad that's been lost for years. But those old babys are a tough bunch to clean. The rotten zincs , I toss.

In my earlier days of detecting the coin count was so plentiful there was no way I was going to sit and wrap coins. I'd be out detecting instead. Because I was younger and healthier I could hunt longer and more often. I spent a lot of time 'night hunting' due to a work schedule, and I hunted often .... daily, to be exact. That was when i was recovering 60K to 70K coins per year, and when not working overtime that number increased a lot. Having too much fun detecting and finding to spend any time sitting and rolling.

Instead, my time was spent figuring out the best Coin Cleaning techniques in order to get my found money looking more 'spendable' and in clean condition to run through the coin counting machine at the bank. I know a lot of banks don't count coins these days, but I have tried to back at a couple that still did. All the non-exciting 'common coins' went to the bank. I usually started my annual Coin Count on December 1st through the following November 30th. Between Thanksgiving and the end of November I would make sure all my common coins were cleaned, sorted and counted, and also all of my gold and silver jewelry. Then I'd sell my good jewelry finds and cash in my coinage at the bank and combine the coin and jewelry amounts to give me a good chunk of $$$ for Christmas shopping. Helpful back then when work didn't pay a lot and having six kids called for some extra to make in a fun holiday for them.

When the hey-day of Coin Hunting started to decline inan abundance of coins I was also declining in health, so there wasn't as much to be found and I had a tougher time looking for it, but still didn't find any excitement in rolling cons. I just clean them, display them in jars by denomination until year's end, then get ready for holiday shopping. Kids are grown and gone, but I still need to do some shopping, and these days I seem to find a few detecting-related things for myself as well. Sure miss being healthy and the era of abundant coins. The last time I topped 10K a year was back in '98 when I hit 12,479, but now my health won't let me maneuver about well enough and I moved from a high coin-count / populated area to small towns where there are few public-use sites and pickin's are thin.

Anyway, I do enjoy hunting and finding, and I also enjoy my coin cleaning sessions and displaying found change until it's time to cash it in. I'm sure some folks do enjoy rolling their coins, and that's fine. But I trust taking my coins to the bank and never a Coin Star type machine where I don't get all my money's worth. Health problems, an injury, a fall and injury, and then cervical spine surgery all in 2018 slowed me down quite a bit, so both 2019 and 2020 were sluggish years. Added to that was living in a small town and not having an opportunity to get out to many high-use playgrounds or other urban locations, and mostly hunting long-forgotten ghost towns, cut in on my common coin recoveries. Reflecting back I was also annoyed by so many blasted Pennies fro many locations compared to higher-valued coins that it sure hurt my PCV (Per-Coin Value) when averaged out.

grand-daughter and I just cleaned the last of my coins from last year as things had been packed away in preparation for my move. So we claned up the last of 2020's coins and added them to what was found in 2019 and earlier in 2020 for a pitiful modern coin count of 4480 coins. $1 = 12, 50¢ = 3, 25¢ - 590, 10¢ - 712, 5¢ = 376, and those blasted 1¢ coins - 2787.(n) That made it a 6.22¢ PCV. It also means that those stinkin' Lincolns accounted for 62.2% of my coin finds when typically, over the last decade or so Pennies only amounted to 53% to 56% of my average take.

I didn't count any of the silver or older Pennies or Nickels for those years, just the modern coins . Question for 'coin rollers', do you clean the coins well before rolling them? Have the banks given you a hard time for wrapping too much dirty or badly-discolored change? I know some banks I dealt with have.

Monte

Question for 'coin rollers', do you clean the coins well before rolling them? Have the banks given you a hard time for wrapping too much dirty or badly-discolored change? I know some banks I dealt with have.
I only use one bank, the one I have my checking and savings account with.

I wouldn't even consider taking rolled, dirty coins into any bank. For sure, mine don't look mint state, but they are clean of dirt and presentable enough that you wouldn't't cringe upon getting a few back in change. I clean my coin finds every three or so months, and has been my practice for years. Usually do my cleaning on a rainy afternoon and cleaning them a little more often doesn't tie me uo for long periods. Consequently, my bank is accustomed to seeing me bring in a bag of rolled coins and have no problem cashing them in. Oh, over the years I've had a couple of instances where a new teller tried to give me a hard time, but the situation got quickly resolved.

I've never been strictly a clad hunter. I happily take what comes along in my ever constant quest for silver and other older coins and jewelry. Even before the pandemic, clad coins were becoming fewer and fewer in old parks and schools. With less clad masking the older coins, though, a few more silver and older coins now seem to be popping up for me on some of my old, tired spots. HH jim tn

I only use one bank, the one I have my checking and savings account with.
I have my main checking account with my long-term bank, but I also kept my business account with a different bank. Between th two I can go to one that uses a coin counter.

I wouldn't even consider taking rolled, dirty coins into any bank. For sure, mine don't look mint state, but they are clean of dirt and presentable enough that you wouldn't't cringe upon getting a few back in change. I clean my coin finds every three or so months, and has been my practice for years. Usually do my cleaning on a rainy afternoon and cleaning them a little more often doesn't tie me uo for long periods. Consequently, my bank is accustomed to seeing me bring in a bag of rolled coins and have no problem cashing them in. Oh, over the years I've had a couple of instances where a new teller tried to give me a hard time, but the situation got quickly resolved.
I very seldom have a stained or discolored coin after cleaning, and the banks people like that. Naturally, like many of us, I am not too excited about the crappy modern Zinc Cents that start deteriorating shortly after being lost in the ground. Some are decent to clean and cash in, some are a little 'iffy' and those I spend, and then there are the 'uglies' and those get tossed.. Like you, I clean coins based upon the quantity build-up. Sadly it isn't like it used to be when my busy Coin Hunting months of April thru August would net me 1600 to 2200 coins-per-month. Then I'd clean them at month's end, but that was back in '95 thru about 2000. The earlier era of vast amounts of coins called for them to be cleaned often, but it was also when a big chunk of them were older, choice coins that got cleaned and carded and put in a binder. I sure miss those days..

I've never been strictly a clad hunter. I happily take what comes along in my ever constant quest for silver and other older coins and jewelry. Even before the pandemic, clad coins were becoming fewer and fewer in old parks and schools. With less clad masking the older coins, though, a few more silver and older coins now seem to be popping up for me on some of my old, tired spots. HH jim tn
I wasn't really a 'clad' hunter early on because I got started in early '65 when 'clad' dimes, quarters and halves got started. I was simply a Coin Hunting and the majority of the coins were older. For the first decade it want from 9-out-of-10 Dimes and Quarters being silver to about 50% of the recoveries being silver as the 'clad' coinage loss increased. By about 1990, a quarter-century of modern 'clad' saw a lot more use and the abundance of lost change got less exciting. Coupled with fewer people using parks and other playgrund to lose stuff, and a shift where less changes seems to be carried by all ages, we just take what we can get. Most of the time, when hunting any grassy areas, I try to select older portion of parks or schools, or get onto private yards / property to increase my chances to find older coins, but to keep enjoying this great sport we have to accept the fact that junk pennies and modern clad is out there and live with it.

Well, it' daybreak so I'm going to go see what I can pluck up before it gets too hot. All the best to you when you get out, and let' hope it isn't all 'modern money.'

Monte

Wife bought this for me back in 2002. Coin paper slides right over the coins in the tube. No runs , no drips, no sweat and no losing $$ at the coin star. Done rolling, looks just like Gunwolfs rolls of Bullion.

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_184435.jpg
    IMG_20210723_184435.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
Wife bought this for me back in 2002. Coin paper slides right over the coins in the tube. No runs , no drips, no sweat and no losing $$ at the coin star. Done rolling, looks just like Gunwolfs rolls of Bullion.
That does look faster, aka simple, and I'd use it and roll 'modern' coins if I planned to keep them for a long duration ,,,, but I don't. It's modern money and I just save it up until I use it for a worthy cause: Things like holiday season shopping. buying a new detector, coil other accessory, or firearms' and ammunition. So I just clean them, jar them, and when ready they go to the bank to change for foldable money.

It's good that you have a wife who is helping keep your detecting life 'simple'. :thumbup:

Monte