Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1, 2, 5 or 50 tones?

mossy99

Just wondering which tones you tend to use most, as i'm confused as to which to choose for my beach hunting?

Do you use 1, 2, 5 or 50 tones most??

thanks.

Beach? 2 tone because you should be digging everything that isn't iron.

50 tones for coins not-at-beaches, to get as much information as possible. I started with 5 but have switched to 50 and think it works better. I'd like to hear others' experiences on this...

Defiantly 50 tones for me as I am used to the Explorer, E-trac, Sovereign, sounds.

Always Curious, I agree with you, and Willee. ESPECIALLY if you are coming from other FBS or BBS machines, where you have learned to "deal with" the multiple tones, I think there is a lot of info in multitones that you would "miss" with fewer tones. But -- there's a good degree of personal preference there, and if you are not a person who can hear/interpret tonal nuance, it probably won't help you that much. I always hunt 50 tones, and I can't imagine doing without the "extra info."

WITH THAT SAID, I can see where fewer tones on a beach could make sense. As Jason said, if your mindset is "I'm going to dig everything but iron," then you probably don't need 50 tones to tell you what is iron (i.e. what "not to dig.")

Steve

At the moment I’m using 5 tone and 50 tones depending on what I’m hunting for.

Rich

I hunt mostly in 2 tones in the water as well..... and most of the time in AM turning down iron to 4. I still can tell when im in a concentration of iron and any concentration of targets may produce other targets. In AM it allows more of the iron to stay in the iron tone range..... more tones with disc moves those iron tones to the lower bin range which i dont like. But in 2 tones..... the target sounds smaller than in 5 tone. With the chatter i get..... 50 would drive me nuts. I like it simple with this machine...... 2 tones..... no threshold and iron at 4 volume.

I've just been keeping it at the default 5 just to give me some variety but I only need 2. No need for more at the beach since you should be digging everything that beeps.

I'm mainly a wet sand and shallow water beach hunter. This is just my opinion and what has worked for me so far. If I were you I wouldn't worry to much about the settings right now. On the wet sand with the exception of the volume (I turned the volume up all the way) I used mine for about 20 hours with the default Beach 1 settings with no issues and got plenty of depth. Then I tweaked the settings a bit. increased my threshold until I could just hear it (with the pounding surf I set at 7), increased my sensitivity to 22 (sometimes 23), my recovery rate at 5, and every time I move a setting or mode I noise cancel. If I get more than calf high in the water it gets noisy and I switch to beach 2 mode but that's not very often. These setting might not work for your beach conditions but would be a good starting point.

If you don't have a good long handled sand scoop you better plan to get one because this detector goes deep and is a killer on nickels. Just keep that coil flat on the sand, don't move to fast because you'll walk right over deeper targets that just barely give you a sound unless you slow it down, and dig every thing that doesn't grunt iron. 15/16 numbers are usually bottle caps and will give you and iron tone when pulling the coil back over the target when the tip of the coil starts to clear the target

You're going to love the EQ! Good Luck and have fun! HH

Randy...... i have to ask why you run a threshold? The threshold isnt a TRUE threshold except in gold mode. They call it a REFERENCE threshold (new term) ..... which allows you to hear nulling...... thats it ..... otherwise its just noise on this detector. I found it easier to run AM and lower the volume of iron...... only so i know im in some concentration of iron targets to slow down. Oddly...... bottle caps are even less a problem in or near the salt water.

Dew

Wasnt trying to be critical. ... I was just curious. On this machine I find myself trying to find ways to limit any noise not needed.... and simply find a target.

dewcon4414 said:
Wasnt trying to be critical. ... I was just curious. On this machine I find myself trying to find ways to limit any noise not needed.... and simply find a target.

Kinda like when the old lady is talking to you while your are trying to watch TV. It's a background noise that can be distracting. lol

On the fresh water beach you only need a detector that will discriminate iron.
The simplest Tesoro will get er done.
Dont need to be a deep seeker if you are looking for recent lost jewelry.
At a Salt water beach you need a bit more.
Single tone ... multi tone ... it dont matter as long as it works for you.

I like to run 50 tones
I use to believe in digging all targets and know you have the possibility of passing on a good target by not doing so
But I also know and now do is by passing up high conductors you have more time to spend on digging potential gold targets
Odds are you will find more gold than if you spend 1.5 hours out of a 4 hour hunt digging high conductors