Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10 dd coil Whites v3i

o 2 find dosh

Has any body had a bad 10 inch coil. I have been using the 10x6 eclipse and the 6x4 shooter, The vdi is the same on both coils. But the 10 the numbers are different. It ground balances spot on ,Any thoughts.

"o 2 find dosh": Has any body had a bad 10 inch coil.
Yes, I have had or handled a number of the crappy 10" D2 DD coils. I got an early prototype 10" D2 from the factory. It was faulty and I returned and swapped it for another. That one kind of worked, but it wasn't impressive. The 950 Concentric coil was more stable, provided a little better coin-depth, and, as with most Concentric coils, the Discrimination was better and it had a tighter TID/VDI than the 10' D2 Double-D coil. The first 'Vision' was introduced and I got mine the week before the 'official' introduction in Texas. A lot of flaws and issues with the circuitry design ... and the stock 10' D2 DD coil. They did some fixing when I took it in and they swapped out for a brand new 10" DD coil.

It kind of worked. The detector didn't and it was back to the factory to try and resolve more design issues. I'd had it now for about 10 days and this was my 3rd trip down. They replaced the entire detector with a brand new unit out of production, coil and all. I used it the next day, and being frustrated I sold it to someone who just had to have it. But that coil was also used when thee went from the MXT Pro to the MXT All-Pro. The only changes made were adding an 'All' sticker to the sides on the control box decal, and changing to the 10' DD coil. The sign of a bad trend to go more DD coil instead of a Concentric.

At the time I was a White's master dealer and I had several people with an original MXT or MXT Pro who wanted the 10" DD coil. I warned them of my experiences, but I bought about a half-dozen for customers. Half of them liked the coil, half of them didn't like the coil or the coil was faulty and didn't perform well. They were warned and dealt with the factory about the coil issues.. I let some friends check out a brand new 10" D2 DD coil and they all returned it, the same day, telling me it was terrible. I didn't argue with them.

I had some things transpire and I wrapped up 2013 selling off everything, at my cost or less, and got out of being a detector dealer. The bad news was the MXT All-Pro's I sold had some of there 10" D2 DD coils, which were standard coils, that were faulty and they needed to be replaced. The good news was that when they made that change to the 'All' version, they also included the 9" 'spoked' Concentric coil which ended up being a terrific coil. No issues from anyone and those worked well.

"o 2 find dosh": I have been using the 10x6 eclipse and the 6x4 shooter,
Naturally, coil choice has to work in harmony with the detector they are attached to and for certain applications. I have used both the 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils, especially the latter size on different models from White's. It was an 'OK' coil for some urban Coin Hunting tasks, but it didn't fare so well when hunting the very dense iron contaminated ghost towns and other sites I mainly hunted. The 6X10 DD was terrible for those sites, and didn't impress me for other applications. I only owned one, but did try others that people had on their detectors when they came to a seminar. The outdoor portion of the seminars let me try them, and demonstrate what they could and couldn't do.

"o 2 find dosh": The vdi is the same on both coils. But the 10 the numbers are different.
What do you mean by the 4X6 DD and 6X10 DD coils having the same VDI but also having different numbers?

"o 2 find dosh": It ground balances spot on ,Any thoughts.
Yes, and I shared them above. I do not own a 10" D2 DD coil, but I have, several times. I didn't like the good vs bad build quality and glitches, I didn't like the weight, and really didn't like the poor in-the-field performance, and I will not, ever, own one in the future. You didn't mention which model you were using your coils on, or for what types of hunting applications you used them for. You also didn't express why you are interested in the 10" D coil. Matter-of-fact, it would be interesting to know why you only name two coils you use and they are both Double-D design, or why you do not have a Concentric coil in-use, or an interest in a Concentric coil , if you are considering getting a new coil. ????

Thus, my curiosity is raised of not only what detector model you are using and the types of hunting you do or plan to do, but also how long have you ben using your detector? How long have you been involved in the metal detecting sport? What other makes and models of detectors, and search coils, have you used in the past?

Monte

Hi Monte,
I have the v3 bought it in 2009 had it back to the states from Australia converted to the v3i. I have been detecting since 1977 and sold & hired Garretts, Whites, Bounty Hunter I have had many many detectors over the years. I do have concentrics but mainly coin shoot . The 10x6 eclipse and the 6x4 shooter gives me the same vdis 54 on our $2 & 55through to 60 on the$1 coin. When you turn to the 10 dd the $2 will be 52 and the dollars 54 The 50 cent coin on the 10x6 & the shooter 6x4 is vdi 47 the 10 inch coil 39 the 20 cent coin with the 10x6 & the 6x4 is 38 the 10 coil is 31.

I still detect at 82 and at the moment i have the v3i, Whites Dual Field, and the Vallon. I have just ordered the 7 inch Mars coil from the UK which is on its way. As i said above 10 coil balances spot on its only the vdi are different on the 10 inch coil this is with a standard coin & jewellery program on all coils.

When i am searching for bling i use correlate program with 5x3 concentric coil to help get through the rubbish. I have had the 10dd put away for a fair time and just tried it out recently.

Regards .