Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10 X 12 SEF

kochevar

I have an Explorer 2 with the factory coil. I do alright with it, but am looking for a reasonable upgrade that will produce noticeable results. I'm thinking of adding a 10 X 12 SEF coil to my bag of tricks. Would like some simple feedback about this coil. I looked at the posts about coils and this one seemed to have success. I have neck and shoulder problems, my Explorer 2 is on the heavy side for me now, how much more weight can I expect? Interested in comparisons to the factory coil too. Please, short to the point answers. Thank you. Jim

Hey Jim. Good to see you on here. Hopefully it will warm-up enough for us to go hit that ballfield tomorrow.

For everyone here...Jim is the guy who introduced me to Minelab. Found a Merc with his EX II the first time out with it.

If you don't have a coil in the 7"-8" range I would recommend getting one of those first. If you haven't tried one, I think you'll be surprised what you can find with these.
You can crank up the sensitivity, gain, volume, use less iron mask and find ALOT!
The SEF 10x12 will get stuff the stock coils won't but only at certain sites where the real deep stuff is(8"-12").
JMHO
Neal

ive got the se pro pro coil and 10 by 12 sef like both coils the pro coil is lighter the sef bit heavier not by much i feel it covers ground better runs very stable and good seperation in woods hunting the closed bottom snags brush less then the more open pro coil making the 10 by 12 better in woods type hunting always my first choice for colonial hunting hope this helps some like my sef alot been using it all week

Like Neal said ... a lot depends on the sites you are hunting. You may gain seperation and a little depth in less trashy areas.... but if you like to sift thru trashy areas that others just past up it takes a little patience to do it with the 10X12. The price is good thou.... $60 less than a pro coil and there isnt $60 difference in the coils. I use the SEF everywhere..... but obviously there are places i really have to work at with the larger coil. That factory coil was THE coil to have before the SEF and Pro came out... they were getting top dollar for them.

Dew

I've been using the Sun Ray Stealth X-8 coil with my Explorer lately in trashy areas and have done pretty well. It really nails stuff. You have to still go so but you get excellent separation of targets. HH

I find this coil does great and balances out real good on the Explorers and makes it seem so much lighter and easy to swing plus has great depth as i am sure you are finding out.

I'm still using my old XS. I only dig signals that show half way down the depth meter. Somewhere in th 6"-12" range. I haven't used the EX 2 coil. It's hard for me to find keepers unless I hunt in the trashy areas. I didn't like the XS coil in moderate to heavy trash. I went to the 8" coil for tose areas and did very well. But I haven't hunted much in the past few years because I could no longer find much. I bought the pro coil late last year, but didn't get out much. I bought the 10 X 12 SEF coil this year, but haven't used it. I started out with the pro coil this year and the silver started popping out of the ground. Not just silver, but big silver and holes with multiple targets in them. Where I hunt and the way I hunt, the pro coil goes as deep as the tan coil and pulls coins out of trash better than the 8" coil. As long as the pro coil continues to pop those silver coins out, the 10 X 12 will sit on the shelf. I wish minelab made a 8" pro coil.

if you have old original 1000 or 1050 coil and its right one, stay with it, because the same coils better then others-have ten 1000 coils and only half is perfect. original explorer coil is the best coil for minelab explorer. usually then people say they dint find much with old coil and with PRO silver pops out it makes me lough. Pro coil, just lighter and connection in the center. Pro coil connector cheaper then they used on old style coils and its looks like cable a bit weaker. have two Pro coils did test and I know what I say. some suggest small coil, but again any small coil no better then original in separation and etc. my suggestion borrow pro or sef make some test with nails and coins and stay with original. good luck

10 x 12 coil is what Bryce got me hooked on from the start and it is a super coil. I won't use anything else.
He does use a lot of different coils during testing and experimenting but I know for a fact that his "go to" coil is the SEF.
I don't know the exact weight but it feels no heavier than the stock Explorer 2 1050 coil to me.
There are some smaller coils out there that are a little lighter if it gets too heavy to use all the time.

Thanks to everyone for your comment! Yours In Liberty, Jim

kochevar, I've been swinging the pro coil on my se for a few years now and love it. Just this week I got the 10x12 sef coil and tried it out yesterday. Although I did like the coil so far I did notice the extra weight right away and even more at the end of the day. If you have shoulder problems then I wouldn't recommend the 10x12......but I would recommend the Minlab Pro coil.

Dave

Hi Jim,

I guess I am odd man out here but thought I would put in a plug for the Coiltek Joey elliptical. When I hunt long days and get to the numb arm stage I switch over to the Joey, you can't believe there is even a coil on the end of the rod after the stock or SEF, and it separates well and covers the ground pretty good. Just put some silicone sealant down the cable strain relief, and around the base as it isn't waterproof.
By the way SEF, which I also own, is a great coil also, but for a bad shoulder/neck hunter the "Joey" is one nice little coil to have in the arsenal.

Drew.