Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10" x 14" DD coil in non mineralized soil?

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
I need some input in to whether using the 10x14 coil would be better than using the 9 1/2" imaging for just regular hunting in non heavy mineralized soil. Im looking to buy one and in all the data sheets it states for hi mineral content you get more depth. "Will this benefit me as well from the standard gti 9 1/2" coil (gti 2500) in non problematic soil? Im aware its not an imaging coil and the pinpointing is a bit different. Its just the depth in general im concerned about I guess.
Thanks, Jason Canada

In non-mineralized soil, the 9 1/2 inch coil is probably the one to use. The benefits are so little by switching, not to mention losing the imaging feature. I also have little mineralization here and can sometimes run my machine wide open in the woods. However, I do have the snall sniper coil and the 12 1/2 inch imiging coil that I occasionally use. Hope this helps Jason. Where abouts do you do most of your hunting?

your hunting for and how much ground you want to cover. No doubt there will be some added depth but
the big advantage with the 10 X 14, is it's ability
to cover a lot of ground in a short time. But like
John said, you lose some things also. Richardntn

I don't have an imaging detector, but I have every coil Garrett makes for the GTAx series, including the 10x14 DD coil. I use it a lot for three purposes: highly mineralized ground, searching for deep relics, and covering a lot of ground in a hurry. It is harder to learn than a standard coil, but once you master it, you can cover a lot of ground using 14" sweeps. That makes it great for relic hunting in fields or open woods. The biggest downside is the weight. You need arms like Popeye and an elbow brace to use it very long at a time. It is also obviously not the coil of choice for trashy areas. HB

If minerals are not a problem, get the 12 1/2 imaging coil. The DD's love bottle caps and you will think you've got quarters everywhere. The imaging coil is a little hard to pinpoint with, as any large coil is, but the depth with it is just as good as the DD.
HH

John Hyde is right. One curious thing about the 10x14 DD coil is that bottle caps read higher up the conductivity scale than with regular concentric coils. Often they read from quarter to half-dollar. However, there is a definite difference in the tone and I can tell the difference 9 times out of 10. But I dug a thousand caps before I figured that out. As much as I love the DD, if I had an imaging detector, I also think I'd opt for the big imaging coil for non-mineralized dirt. Either way, you'd better build up your forearms. HB