Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10k and 14k hunt with acid test question.

rottonr

First off it was a close by (1/2 drive) lake hunt that produced a fantastic result. There was a total of 15 targets and because of the colder weather not alot of people to go around. The perfect after work hunt.

1.Both the 10K ring and 14K ring held up to the 10K acid %100.
2.With the 14K acid the14K ring held up %100 and the 10K ring faded a little, but I would say it held up also but not as good as the 14K ring did.
3.The 18K acid cleaned up the stone to a very faint line so when I wiped it on a towle it the stone was clean.
4. My acid is a few year old.
5. The 10K ring marking is very faint with only the bottom half still not worn off. I was hoping it was a very old 18K ring i found.

My question is what K is the ring that is marked 10K? 10K as marked? 14K because it mostly (%80) held up? A 18K stamped lie that is more like a 15k or 16K? Or 12K because it only mostly help up to 14K acid?

Two gold rings in one hunt is a fantastic day! :clapping:

I can't help with the acid test questions but I will suggest doing a specific gravity test. It is very accurate on bands or any jewelry that doesn't have stones. All you need is an accurate scale, plastic cup, water, piece of thread and a chart of various metal's specific gravity. This link explains the process and has the table of specific gravity values: http://www.mdhtalk.org/faqs/sg.htm

In the US the "Finess" of gold can vary by -3 parts per thousand to something over the marking. UK does not allow any - parts in their grading of gold. If the gold is dead on not + or - from the stated K a P is usually placed after the K i.e. 14KP usually stated as 14 K Plumb.

For a better explanation is easy to understand terms see: http://gold.yabz.com/measurements.htm