Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10x12 SEF help.

had the stock coil on my se. are there any changes i should make to the settings when useing the 10x12 SEF have not found anything other then clad. should run factory setting. i need to find my first silver.this. my first time hunting with metat detectors any help you good people can give me.

You should be able to run about 24 manual and use the factory IM instead of the coin program. You might as well start out right using the smart screen and air testing some coins. If you want to check the numbers on the digital screen ... flip back and forth. That said i think the digital screen makes most people nuts the way it jumps around. Also you tend to dig more targets and i think find more just because if the digit isnt accurate you will pass up to many iffy targets that could have paid off. Even people with a lot of experience will notice a drop in their coin finds when they switch detectors. Since you have never used a detector before just dont get discouraged. Got to places people have found silver. When checking targets, pinpoint to center the target (gives you the best reading), check your smartcreen (if its deep and on the right line anywhere down to bottle cap reading i dig), then your depth gauge (its important to know if you are digging shallow coins. The sound of silver is unmistakeable. Get Andy's book.....

Dew

like dew said the book on the explorers by andy sabisch is a must. it takes a lot of things and makes them understandable. i have the 10x12 sef and love it. if you stay in the hobby you may consider getting either the 6x8 or the 5inch excelerator coil for heavy trash areas. if where you detect sometimes seems to make the detector go crazy just back down the sensitivity a bit until it quiets down. i have went back over ground that i had previously pounded to death with my other smaller coils and found coins that i had missed because they were a little to deep. also try between manual and auto sensitivity and see which works best for you. on my explorer2 i generally run the iron mask at around -10 and at that setting iron starts to break up and i can tell its not a good target. when you work with iron mask the setting may be a little different in your area. air testing coins and iron objects will help you learn the machine too. run the coil over different targets and see what reading you get as well as what sounds they make. the more you use the explorer sounds will tell you a lot about whats in the ground. hope this helps and i think you made a good choice in detectors. happy hunting.

setting the sensitivity to semi auto 26 and leave it there for a while.

The 10 x 12 SEF coil is very forgiving on deep iron signals to begin with...and setting the sensitivity at semi auto 26 just makes it that much more stable.

Once you have eliminated much of the falsing and chirping that comes with running manual sensitivity...you can now concentrate more closely on those deeper and fainter high pitched hits.

I have hit plenty of silver at depths of 10" with the 10 x 12 SEF coil while running semi auto sensitivity at 26.....so if you are told you will lose depth by running semi auto sensitivity...I would take the info with a grain of salt.

If you are new to the SE...then the last thing you want to hear is a bunch of high pitched falsing and chirping which can also be mistaken for deep silver hits.

Hearing all of these sounds can be very confusing and detract from the listening process involved in finding deep silver.

Learning the SE while hunting in semi auto sensitivity is probably the best bit of info I can offer.

Once you have familiarized yourself with it...dug some deeper silver...and learned it's language...then you can start running manual sensitivity if need be.

It does become a little more sensitive to smaller objects while running manual sensitivity...but after finding 300+ silver coins in the last 2 years...I have yet to hit a coin hunting in manual that I couldn't hit when switching to semi auto.

Semi auto sensitivity also allowed me to hunt a lot of areas I just couldn't hit running manual because of all the falsing and chirping. The semi auto setting just settled down the SE so I could hunt those said spots.

If you are in very clean ground..then sure...put it in manual sensitivity and give it a whirl...otherwise...semi auto does the trick for me.

Please keep in mind that all sites are different as are ground conditions...but the setting has worked well for me in 4 different states.

thanks for all your help. i will be hunting a old park in my town this weekend and will let you all know if i find something. again thanks
all!!!
art