Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

11" or 6" coil

I second goodmore's post. There is a time and place for a 6" coil (such as this coming weekend, when I'll be Civil War relic hunting in PA, in some newly harvested corn fields, where the small coil may help me to move more effectively between the corn stocks/stubble). But the Equinox was engineered around the 11" coil, and it sure seems that way, when you use it. The 11" coil is an amazing coil.

Steve

Actually your question is unanswerable.
Each coil has its purpose and place to be uses.
The 11” will cover more area but if it is a trashy area you may need to go smaller and nit pick threw the trash.
As far a deep I actually haven’t seen any difference .
If you are around playground equipment I use the 6” but I raise the iron bias up and lower the sensitivity way down. I do a test with a quarter to set the sensitivity at about 5-6” and that way I can get much closer and under steel post that others can’t get near with their detector. I de-tune it.
Each person has their favor coil and gets hooked on it and I don’t because I like to be able to Chang coils as the condition change. I have both my coils pre mounted with lower shafts and have Steve’s carbon fiber upper shaft with the cam clamp that is totally adjustable with no pin to fuss with for fast changing.

Your Friend;
Doug

The 11” is more versatile great all around the 6” is great for tight areas and trashy areas I have both use the 11 90%
Of the time.
Mark

Between the stock coil and the 6'' coil the small ones stays almost all the time on my Equinox,on most of my permission they are roman sites which can be busy with hobnails from the soldiers boots and also some saxon sites can be trashy as well,so that is the main reason i use the smaller 6'' coil.

Another reason the small coil has been on in recent months is that i can get in between the stubble rows,albeit the stubble has rotted and or been harrowed in,so not as urgent as what it was.But i just like it mainly for the target separation.

My 15'' coil has only ever been used maybe a couple of times on pasture sites.

I agree with Steve. Mainly use the 11 but the six comes out for trash, separation and hunted out NOX parks.

I stopped using the fifteen but will go back to that those winter for coverage

Tony NJ

Ol hers my thoughts and I’m no coil expert.
I like the 6” and rage 11” also.
I would like to see an olipic DD coil like the one they have for the Xterra 70 and 705 . I think on the 11” outer ring is to wide and covering too much of an area and I think the elliptic style would be more easy to pinpoint. My opinion here is the totally circle coils make it so hard to pinpoint and that goes for both 6” and 11” coils.
Some of the other manufacturer detectors come with a oliptic coil as a standard coil.
All this is just my opinion.

Doug

I have both and the 11” sees 95% of my use
Mark

Gold prospecting in highly mineralized ground the 6" is the coil of choice. The 11" is effected by the mineralization and hot rocks too much due to surface area of the coil. The 6" will punch deeper than its diameter and is a really hot coil. I also use it for the shallower aluminum trashy areas of parks or private land where target separation is the number one consideration and depth is not important until I can clear out the first few inches of junk. Same goes for shallow iron infested relic sites.

Jeff

Sorry. On my post above I meant the 5x10 DD elliptic that they have for the Xrerra 70 and 705. It’s like the 6” but elongated so you can cover more area and still get into tight places.

Doug

NeverHuntedOut said:
11" because the 6" is just too small for the type of hunting I do. An 8.5" or 9" coil would be perfect though.

I would normally agree, but this Nox 6" coil hits 9" dimes and pennies in the field, in excellent style. I find that this easy detection of 9 inches on coins in this 6' coil, adds lateral width to the detection during sweeps. I can go to s few of my deeper coin garden coins and pick them up fast, and I have no markers installed on the top soil.

I admit that I had automatic emotions of being limited with that light, small 6 inch coil. It just feels odd to trust any 6" coil without needing to go granny gear in sweeps, like I do with other 6" coils. I don't know ML did it.

Minelab might have been able to make the 6" coil, into the frame of an 8" coil, and called it an 8, cut with nothing more than plastic for the extra 2 inches of that rendition. The sweetest invention in an Equinox coil, is indeed a true 8" coil. That thing would sell!

It just feels wrong to trust a 6" coil like I trust this one. An 8 version would be a natural seller. If the 8-inch would sell, why wouldn't any manufacturer make one? Money is money!