Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

12 inch concentric coil

Lodihunter

Just a quick question for everyone here... Does anyone ever use the 12 inch coil that came "stock" on the MXT Pro? I have heard that the concentric coils are kind of old technology and it covers less ground than DD coils. I am just wondering why Whites puts this coil on their machines. But, hey... if everyone here uses it, I guess I'll be hookin' that bad boy up to my MXT and giving it another shot. Thanks!

The 12" concentric coil is not "old" technology by any means. It's physical size DOES limit it's most effective range of hunting and thus it's overall versatility compared to a smaller coil, concentric or DD. Although I don't do a lot of this type of hunting, it's stronghold is wide open, low trash, med-low mineralization areas. Size for size it doesn't cover less ground but the deepest area in the coils "search cone" is smaller than a similar sized DD so your sweeps and overlap have to be correct and disciplined to be effectively reaching the coils depth limits consistently. In my ground I always prefer the concentrics over the DD's in the dirt . . .better discrimination. The 5.3 can just about be hard-mounted to my machine . . .JMHO

[size=large]some feel that the 12" is put on by the manufacture knowing the owner will probly buy the smaller coils and hardly ever use the 12". there's more money in selling accessories. it is a business. enough pressure was applied to where you have a choice now to get the 950 coil instead of the 12" as std. you'll still end up buying differant and sometimes better coils. as already mentioned the 5.3 is concidered a required coil in most stables.
the 6x10 is also highly favored or it's contender the 8x6 sef. most buyer as far as i can tell park the 12" and use the smaller coils mostly. thus more sales. you're the maker of the machine. you know most folks won't use it. $$$$$$ jmho

HH[/size]

I have the 12" and only use it when hunting large, relatively trash free areas. It isn't a good choice for more trashy areas and is heavier than I care to use regularly. However, in response to the original post, for most use the concentric designed coils size for size will give a bit more depth and discriminate better than the DD design other than in more heavily mineralized ground. The DD size for size will cover a bit more area at depth in the front to rear dimension and that helps give a bit better separation in trash as well, but for the hunting most of us do, the concentric is just fine, that's why there's so many of them in use. My two bits.
BB

I have the Super 12 on my MXT, The only time I use it is when relic hunting. I get awesome depth with it. I can't have my shovel anywhere near it though, which is a pain in the butt.