Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

120 vs 180 disc

foreign object

Which of the two do you guys prefer and why?

Also on the 120 disc.machines when you switch to all metal does it accept the smaller iron targets the 120 disc. normally rejects?

I have a new Tejon which is my first Tesoro but haven't got to use it much. Did get me a 7" 1928 merc the other day along with some other good targets. Will post some pictures when ingest the chance.

Thanks guys

FO

foreign object said:
Which of the two do you guys prefer and why?
It depends upon the site I am hunting and the targets I am after or dealing with in the way of trash. My urban Coin Hunting is usually in woodchip or sand-filled playgrounds, around picnic areas, sports fields or other grassy areas like parks, school, grounds or private yards. For that hunting I like the ED-120 Disc. models [size=small](on all of the Tesoro's I currently own and use)[/size], and I always work a site with the Discrimination level set at absolute minimum ... always. That's enough to reject most iron and only some very small foils. That lets be get a good response from all US coils as well as almost all silver and gold jewelry.

I also use the minimum Disc. setting with the ED-120 Disc. models when searching vacant lots, building tear-down sites, and any renovation work such as torn up sidewalks, streets, or digging in old parks, etc.

For the past 3+ decades I have tried to concentrate most of my detecting time on older, non-urban sites, such as old picnic groves, dance hall sites, stage stop & railroad depots and sidings, logging and mining camps, military camps and forts, homesteads, ghost towns ... and the list goes on. Most are very trashy, especially with a lot of iron junk. I always use the ED-120 Discrimination, and always set at the minimum rejection level, which lets the excellent Tesoro Discrimination deal with iron nails and some of the other small iron trash.

I am trying to acquire a very clean specimen Eldorado, in the [size=small]micro[/size] size housing, which features the ED-180 Disc. range. While they can be used for other applications, I found those I had in the past to not reject many targets quite as 'cleanly' as the other models in my current arsenal, but I used the Eldorado to take advantage of the ED-180 Discrimination which is, essentially, when set at the minimum setting, a zero-Disc. or All Metal Accept motion-based Discriminate function. I liked the Eldorado with the stock 8X9 Concentric coil for working open, sparse-target plowed fields or open-areas, and also to hunt most sandy beaches.

This provides me the best all-around performance to find coins, tokens, jewelry and other interesting artifacts of all types of metals, ferrous and non-ferrous.

foreign object said:
Also on the 120 disc. machines when you switch to all metal does it accept the smaller iron targets the 120 disc. normally rejects?
On my models, and those I prefer, I have a 'conventional' All Metal search mode. This, it is a Threshold-based, true All Metal mode and those will accept ALL targets, both ferrous and non-ferrous.

Some models, like the 'original' Silver Sabre or current Silver µMAX to name two, have a selectable "All Metal" setting, but it is basically a low-Disc. setting in the motion-based Discriminate mode. Sometimes they will respond to most metal targets but not quite all.

foreign object said:
I have a new Tejon which is my first Tesoro but haven't got to use it much. Did get me a 7" 1928 merc the other day along with some other good targets. Will post some pictures when ingest the chance.
Congrats on the success afield, and with the Téjon. Not one of my favorites, but an okay and versatile Tesoro model nonetheless.

Monte

So what version of disc does the vaquero have?

Davethejunky said:

Not sure if it is true all metal though when switched to AM. Maybe Monte or someone else will reply.

Davethejunky said:
Well, it doesn't have either of the two mentioned.

Originally, the Vaquero and Cibola were marketed as having an ED-180 Disc. range of acceptance, so if you got an early-release unit or flyer or other print-out it might give that reference. These two models, like a few others in the Tesoro line-up, have a Discriminate adjustment range that will go below iron nail rejection at the minimum setting and respond to a lot of ferrous targets, but not all.

It doesn't adjust to a true, Zero Disc. or All Metal Accept setting [size=small](ED-180)[/size], but it does adjust below a minimum setting that would reject iron nails and a fair amount of iron [size=small](ED-120)[/size], and could be described as accepting most ferrous targets at the minimum setting. A good guess would be something like an ED165 Discriminate range.

Your only true All Metal mode function with the Vaquero would be by selecting the All Metal mode with a full counter-clockwise adjustment to turn 'Off' the Discrimination, then adjust for a proper Threshold and then adjust for a good, functional Ground Balance.

Monte