Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1266 question for Dave J. or others with knowledge...

Joseph in Alabama

Hey guys couple weeks ago found a half dime with my T2...yesterday got my old sparky double board 1266 out and see how the half dime would airtest...cranked disc all the way to max and ran half dime across coil...nothing..not a peep,had to back disc off to about 7-1/4 to get a tone....then tried clad dime with disc. maxed and got solid tone....any ideas why the half dime would not give tone at max disc? thanks in advance..joe

I wonder if the composition of silver/copper for the Half Dime could have some effect I have read that some early issues the purity was sometimes......questionable.
The Half Dime is 15.5 mm compared to 17.9 mm for a dime makes a difference too; smaller is less metal (wonder how a 3 cent Silver would react?)
Is the coin oxidized strongly--that too has an effect. (been so long since I dug one I do not recall what it read).

Hello vlad
Thanks for responding ...could be the composition might have something to do with it ..the coin is wore but has no oxidation on it...I have never read/heard whete,when disc was maxed that silver/copper could be tuned out... joe

Hello vlad
Best I remember it was a mid to high 70's bounce...I know it was a high tone that caused me to investigate..but had medium tones mixed with it...that may be where the answer is.. with the newer T2 technology being able to mix in high tones on what silver is in the half dime..where as the 66 can't pick up the silver over the other properties in the coin.. causing it to disc. out sooner....thanks joe