Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1270 strikes again...

Jackpine Savage

More good stuff from the cold clear waters of the Great Lakes State!

[c]14K white gold ring and 14k earring[/c]

I saw someone was waterproofing 1270's in a watertight case. Is that what you have, or are you just like hipmounting or something & staying shallow? :nerd

Looks like 1270's like small gold with the earring and white gold ring which come in very low.Fresh water hunters get the gold and the water is where they are..

Chuck that makes scoops that waterproofed a 1270. He spent many hours on a cad-cam designing and manufacturing the case. It was a one-off tho as the price to duplicate it was pretty high. I don't know who ended up with it as he was trying to sell it the last I saw. Always in search of the "best" I guess.

Mine is a chest mount with the original control box removed from the rod ass'y and simply placed in a pouch. Nothing fancy but it works for me. It will pick up BB size split shot with ease and you wouldn't believe how much deep 22 cal. lead I dig with it. All that lead has to fall somehwere and the lakes have there share. :lol

HH Tom

are you using waders or are you in a wetsuit already? If the latter, what thickness? I use Henderson Ti Superstretch 3 mil full and shorty but have been looking at either a 5 or a 5/7 in order to get in the water earlier. Last but not least, (and I know you're there too!) man I wish Fisher would replace the 1280 with a water tight 1270!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That way they'd have a major kick-butt freshwater detector without a salt bias.

Brad,

I use 4mm chest waders when the water is cold and a swimsuit in the summer. Anything over 65-66 deg water is fine with me for wading with just a suit. The only problem I have is that some lakes have swimmers itch and any part of your body that is not covered...well, thats why they call it swimmers itch. not funny really tho.

Have never used a wetsuit. Do they get hot in the summer? I would think that 4mm would be fine as you are on the move and always exerting to some extent. Of course if you are thinking of wading right at ice-out you may want one thicker.

1270 water machine:

All metal and Iron disc modes only, if you want normal disc you ain't a serious jewelry hunter
adjustable GB in all metal AND iron disc with a preset position for low mineral operation
volume control

Thats about it. anything more than that and it would be for marketing only.

Ever stop at Indian river where the catholic shrine is with the worlds largest crucifix?

Here's the worlds smallest. :rofl

HH Tom

for the info. I use the 3 mil from about 62 to 70 degrees surface water temp and then go to the 3 mil shorty for a little more before just using swim trunks only. The wetsuits have never gotten overly warm under these conditions. As for the water 1270 features you mention, I'd be right up there at the front of the line to buy one of those! Been to Indian River quite a few times but never noticed the crucifix. I'll have to check that out next time.

Brad,

I forgot to mention a sensitivity control. lol

When you wade with a wet suit does your upper body stay warm when its not submerged and exposed to cold air temps and winds? Just curious as to how that works.

HH Tom

I was taught that if you wade with a wetsuit, and you're knee- or waist-deep, you might was something to break the wind. I've heard of folks where rainsuits OVER their wetsuits to keep the cold wind off them.

HH from Allen in MI

you're right.. a sensitivity control would be a requirement! I was so excited about the possibility of a "wet" 1270, I overlooked the obvious also! :) The wetsuits do help a lot insulating against cold wind. Even in the summer after the water has warmed up, if I'm hunting in less than chest deep water and it's windy, I'll still wear my shorty. Works for me. I canned my plain neoprene suit a few years ago and invested in a couple titanium suits. NICE!!!!

Brad,

Whats the difference between a regular neopreme and the Titanium? Is it some kind of outer layer applied?

Thanks

Tom

I don't believe it's a layer per se, just impregnated into the material. It makes for a warmer suit for a given thickness. The other advantage is the hyperstretch neoprene is soooooooo easy to slip in and out of. They advertise "like an old pair of jeans and they're not joking.

Brad,

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into those Ti suits for next fall.

Good finds!

Tom