Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

clllclal

Is there anything sprecial that I need to do to make sure that I am getting the maximum depth out of my 1270? I turn all of the settings off with the sensitivity to 8 or so and I usually dig everything. I mainly hunt for Civil War relics. Thanks

Chad

Relic hunting, I would gather your doing a lot of field hunting. I find that using the 1270 in the all metal mode, with sensitivity cranked up, puts it about as deep as anything out there. Using the larger 10.5" coil will help you by a couple of more inches.

Sweep slow, take your time, investigate all deep whisper targets. Flip over to discriminate to check it out. You may have to remove a bit of dirt to get the target to respond in discriminate mode if it's real deep.

Hello Fisher-men and women,
First OFF, I am not looking for a detector war on what detector company or machine is the BEST. Just the plain truth about the Fisher 1270, the ease of use (learning curve) and the depth that I really should expect to get using the coil its sold with, with no BS from the folks that use this machine in the field, the Paul Harvey's,. " the rest of the story" . No "fish stories" from people that don't know a inch from a foot! You know in these times, money is tight and no good detectors are pocket change! I haven't had the opportunity to use any Fisher detectors . All detector manufacturers are going to say that their machine is the best or they wouldn't be in business very long and this leads to a quote from an ad on Kellyco. "Buy the Fisher 1270 only if you're looking for a super high-performance metal detector that will find valuable coins, rings, gold, etc. from upper ground levels to single coins as deep as 18 and 20 inches." I thought about buying one of these just by the ad, but when I talked to a local salesperson about buying one and discussing that I owned a Whites DFX, the salesperson said that I would be downgrading to a lesser quality machine and though I wasn't getting the depth I thought I should, he suggetsted I try tweaking my current machine should get the results I'm looking for. Oh and Yeah, I like hunting for Civil War relics and the places I'm going to have been hunted for years but the fields are used for crops and the dirt is turned over a bit. So how about the Fisher 1270 and relics can anyone give me the real deal views on it?

Gee, that must have been a Whites salesman that said that. Calling the 1270 a lessor quality machine is not quite correct, and certainly a detector that has proven itself on the relic field for depth.

What we have here is 2 totally different detectors, designed for different markets. If your a coin shooter, then perhaps you would be best served with a target ID unit like the DFX. If your a hunter the detects in disturbed ground, or likes to hunt relics, the 1270 is a real good choice. At the present time, 1270's can be purchased for low prices, perhaps you may want to consider adding one to your tool box along with your DFX.

Mr Bill and other 1270 users,
Referring back to my first post on this topic. The advertisement for the Fisher 1270 "Buy the Fisher 1270 only if you're looking for a super high-performance metal detector that will find valuable coins, rings, gold, etc. from upper ground levels to single coins as deep as 18 and 20 inches." was written by a Fisher metal detector salesperson. I just wanted to know from the experiences of the end user what the depth they have realistically been able to achieve with the 1270, on a single CW bullet, with the stock coil and the other coils designed for this model.
Also I'll ask what do Fisher users think is the best Fisher brand metal detector just for Civil War Relic Hunting. Besides the depth issue, are they able to detect around hi voltage power lines with minimal interference?
I am seriously considering buying a Fisher because I know that no matter how much I "tweak" my machine, I'm not going to get 18 inches deep out of the unit unless its the size of a culvert buried and I'm looking for bullets and belt buckles!
I look forward to your post.
Thanks,

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that 18" bullet. Depth is prevalent to the type of ground your hunting.

Anyone that could guarantee you 18" with a induction balance VLF unit, I would be very leery of. Have they been found at that depth, I'm sure they have, but it's certainly not cast in stone.

One would do very well with the 1270 like I have already stated. It's one heck of a deal for the money.

By the number of comments I've gotten about my post, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone hunts with the 1270 anymore. I guess it won't hurt to ask one more time anyway. What is the deepest depth you folks have gotten on good small size targets with your 1270? What would you consider to be fishers best relic hunting detector?

Mr Bill,
Anyone that could guarantee you 18" with a induction balance VLF unit....
You plumb went over my head there. Is there something better?