Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1280X Question

DigginDoc

Hello to all and Merry Christmas
I bought a used Fisher 1280x this summer for primarily the fresh water around here. It works well.
My question is- I am going to Hawaii in January and I realize it isn't the best for wet sand and salt shallow water. Has anybody used this machine there and how did it work? Is it worth it to take it? I am taking my Tesoro Eldorado for the dry sand. Any thoughts please. Also your ideas on the lower frequency for general gold jewelry hunting in these applications.
thanks
Doc

Between the two I would take the 1280X.
The big advantage it has is that it is waterproof and could be used for shallow water hunting.
Neither is going to handle the wet salt water sand very well.

1280 will chatter in the wet saltsand as its primarily a good freshwater unit...Tesoro useless at best in this enviroment..Unfortunately due its low Freq. not the best on small gold jewelry and a Tesoro will beat the pants off it in that respect..

Thanks for the information. I may be best to just attack the dry sand with either one. Not sure how rough the water might be anyway. Cheers
Doc

I have had a 1280x for 18 years and have used it in saltwater here in Maine , Florida and Hawaii. The only problems I have encountered are with MOVING salt water, right at the surfline. I turn down the sensitivity a little and use the discrimination to compensate for the salt and it usually does well. I like the 1280 and have never had a leak or any other problems with it. It runs at a lower frequency than what is considered today to be optimum for silver and jewelry but you would never know it by the finds it has made over the years. Take the 1280 with you and enjoy it.