Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

12Khz to 4Khz checking what's in the ground

biggziff

I thought I read that someone had posted a technique where they'll change from 12Khz to 4Khz on a target to help determine if it's trash. I thought they posted that if the numbers go up when they switch to 4Khz it's always trash, but I'm not sure about that part. Anyone remember reading this or can comment on this in general?

I dug a lot tonight and every single piece of foil/pull tab was expected except for one. I guess my ears are getting better at hearing what the Deus is telling them.

Hey biggziff --

Might have been one of my earlier posts, though others have noted it as well. This works for bottle caps (crown caps), but NOT for metal screw caps like the tops of sodas or some beers & wines. Here's what I wrote before:

Check it by using a program that uses the 4kHz frequency. You can either go into the menu and just drop the frequency, or you can create a duplicate program adjacent to the program you're using, and flip over to it. For me, the screw caps usually either ring up around 83-85, or sometimes in the low 90s (that's using 12 kHz). When you switch to using the 4kHz frequency, if it is a legitimate target, you'll see the target ID DROP. If it is a bottle cap, you'll see a target ID HIGHER than what you were seeing before you switched. On some wine screw caps (which ring in lower for me, usually in the upper 70s), sometimes I'll get virtually the same reading (not higher) when switching to 4 kHz, but that still tells you the same thing because a good target will show a lower ID in 4 kHz than in 12 kHz (or 8 kHz). While air tests aren't valid for many uses, you can use an air test to see this target ID behavior in action and see it for yourself.

Rich

Rich, thank you for this technique. This is the kind of 'meat and potato' technique that I love to see! :detecting:

You're welcome guys, but just want to be clear that I did not come up with that technique and don't want to take any undue credit! :) Pretty sure it was Andy, or part of an exchange with several folks. My "go to" program is pretty much the 12 kHz deep coin program (from Andy's book I believe) with 4 tones. I also sometimes use the "Super Trashy" 12 kHz program that Andy has posted on the forum. I don't have my Deus with me or I'd post my settings. Anyhow, I also have a 4 kHz program adjacent to the 12 kHz program. Very easy to flip over and check. One thing to note -- it won't work if you've set the vdi to "normalized"! ;)

Rich

samandnoah said:
You're welcome guys, but just want to be clear that I did not come up with that technique and don't want to take any undue credit! :) Pretty sure it was Andy, or part of an exchange with several folks. My "go to" program is pretty much the 12 kHz deep coin program (from Andy's book I believe) with 4 tones. I also sometimes use the "Super Trashy" 12 kHz program that Andy has posted on the forum. I don't have my Deus with me or I'd post my settings. Anyhow, I also have a 4 kHz program adjacent to the 12 kHz program. Very easy to flip over and check. One thing to note -- it won't work if you've set the vdi to "normalized"! ;)

Rich

No worries on credit. I understand this is a group effort and am thankful for it!

I tried the normalization on day 1, but turned it off shortly thereafter. Seemed like a bad idea for someone learning the machine.

Thanks again...I'd love to see your settings if you find time.

Hey biggziff --

Below are the setting for the 3 programs I seem to use the most. Note that some may be different than how they've been documented elsewhere, but some of it is based on personal preference, or knowing what adjustments I want/need to make in the field (like bumping up the reactivity when/where needed). Hope this help!

Rich

Thanks, Rich....everything helps!

I've just gotten permission to hunt an old school here (1920s) and we're pretty sure no one has ever hunted it, at least with permission. I walked around the flag pole Sunday night just listening (no digging) and heard a lot of sweet tones....we'll see what happens!

samandnoah said:
Hey biggziff --

Below are the setting for the 3 programs I seem to use the most. Note that some may be different than how they've been documented elsewhere, but some of it is based on personal preference, or knowing what adjustments I want/need to make in the field (like bumping up the reactivity when/where needed). Hope this help!

Rich

I almost always hunt in 12Khz and have been verifying my targets with my 4Khz program ever since I bought my first Deus. I use this verification program to virtually eliminate digging bottle caps. I have tested it many times and haven't found a good target that when I verified with the 4Khz program the TID stayed the same or went higher. I think that I first saw a similar system used by PeachHavens on YouTube. I studied so many of his videos when I got my first Deus. I would be very interested in any reports of finding good targets that the numbers got higher after switching to 4Khz.

Hey Pescadore, I certainly haven't found any good ones (with same or higher readings in 4kHz), that's for sure!

biggziff, sounds like a great potential site. Good luck!

Rich