Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

12x10 widescan or clean sweep widescan?

So I know there is a post already about coil questions on here, but I am thinking I would like to get a large coil for my Umax detectors to sweep large open fields in parks and on farms. I have two detectors with manual ground balance on them, so changing coils is not a big problem. I have read some of the posts I can find about both coils, but still have questions and would like some feedback from anyone who has used either coil. If I am wrong in my assumptions or statements please let me know. I understand that the clean sweep covers some ground in each sweep, but may not get as good of depth. I am wondering if the 12x10 would get any more depth than say the 8x9 stock coil I have on the Eldorado or the 8" brown donut coil that I have for the Bandido II, or if I should just stick with the stock coils and forget about the bigger coils. I guess my main question should be is there an advantage to using the larger coils other than covering more ground? Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions. HH

I have the 12X10.
If you happen to get into some trashy spots the longer thinner scanning field does snake in between trash pretty good, in mineralized soil DD's can handle that a bit better and get a little deeper, also.
Overall, covering large areas quicker and efficiently is its strongest point.
I was using mine in a large wide open area in a park one time and I only had 1/2 hour left in my hunt before I had to leave.
I started moving way faster than I should have, literally running around that area sweeping my Vaq and that coil fast and wide looking for just one more great target, a Hail Mary target because I did not have much to show for that day's hunt except clad to that point.
I looked like a hockey player moving down the ice on a fast break.
Strange as I might have looked that day doing this...it worked!
If not for the speed of my Vaq and that long scanning field I don't think I would have noticed this signal when I heard it.
What this signal happened to be was a 14k wedding ring that at melt prices more than paid for this coil so I am a believer.
I hunt parks mostly so the clean sweep might have been a logical choice for me also, but I believe the weight of that DD is less and I also take that coil into the woods sometimes so the heavy vegetation would make using that clean sweep in that situation pretty much impossible.

the 10x 12 will get better depth , - about the same or a tad better than the 8" concentric - but in mineralized ground will out perform for sure i had a 5 " dime and a small staple up on the suface and my smaller 7" widscan cold not get it in disc but when i put on the 10x12 DD that got it good reason is the bigger coil just ignored that small Iron but the smaller coil the staple was a bigger threat and chocked on it so i would go for the 10x12DD

I appreciate the responses so far. I forgot to mention the reason for widescan coil inquiries is that I live in Virginia and have had good luck with my widescan 7" coil that I recently purchased. In this hobby seems like no matter how much gear you purchase, you always find a need for more. HH

I love the Cleansweep coil for the type of hunting you mentioned. I checked mine in my test bed (neutral soil) and I hit the 5-6" dimes, nickels, and.pennies good with send at 10. The 8" quarter I can get a peep out of in AM with sens in red zone every few sweeps if I coax it really hard.

I have the 10x12 in 4 and 5 pin. It is a very nice coil and has surprised me more than once. The coverage is great as for depth the vaquero can run it to the depth of the 9x8 but the outlaw doesn't get there maybe an inch or so less. Like kaolinwasher said it ignores small trash well and locks in on good targets. It is not all that hard to pinpoint with either. The downfall is hard to maneuver through taller vegetation. I have tried the smaller widescan coils and sold them. They do not work that well for me but most of the ground here is good or only slightly mineralized. For smaller coils I like concentric but the large widescans make sense to me. As for the clean sweep I am sure it is great for it's intended purpose.

I use the clean sweep on sports fields where targets are few and within 4" of the suface , I am using the 5 pin 3x18 awesome thing covers ground fast i would be using it more but found an old lot to search , not to mention the new ones are really light weight