Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

13" LF vs the 9" HF ?

ynnek4

I am thinking about picking up another Deus with either the 13" LF or the 9" round HF coil. I would like to have a second Deus and not just another coil (i.e. for family and friends to use).

I do mainly coin-shooting so I realize that is probably a strike against the HF. I do think I could potentially see myself using the HF as a "clean-up" detector behind my current 11" setup though.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I have done extremely well with HF coil. I have the 9" and it unmasks extremely well. Great on coins.

I have the 11 LF and the 9.5 elliptical HF and I prefer the HF easily and I'm telling ya what because the HF can run so much more sensitivity and stay quiet it gets incredible depth. I know some people don't worry about ground balance and sens settings in their ground and just run the pre set numbers, but for sure in my ground Northern CA a proper manual ground balance and pushing the sensitivity is a must for the best performance. Happy Hunting.

I never thought i'd have an hf coil, now I mainly use both of them. I think you're assuming the hf's won't hit the low conductors as well. Taint so. I have the 11" but the only time I prefer it is special cases where you have moderate to low trash, low emi, and large iron. The HF's will send large iron into the silver range. HH

Seems like no one has used the 13", only the 11". That includes me. Wish I had one to try out. Meanwhile the 9" round HF coil is a very quick and deep coil at 28 khz. But remember, can't do normalization with HF coils.

basstrackerman said:
To be honest I have done extremely well with HF coil. I have the 9" and it unmasks extremely well. Great on coins.

Awesome. I decided to go with the 9” round HF. Very excited to use it.

Thanks for the reply!

jarid said:
I have the 11 LF and the 9.5 elliptical HF and I prefer the HF easily and I'm telling ya what because the HF can run so much more sensitivity and stay quiet it gets incredible depth. I know some people don't worry about ground balance and sens settings in their ground and just run the pre set numbers, but for sure in my ground Northern CA a proper manual ground balance and pushing the sensitivity is a must for the best performance. Happy Hunting.

Awesome to hear. I absolutely love the 11” so hearing the HF is preferred over it gets me excited.

Architex said:
Seems like no one has used the 13", only the 11". That includes me. Wish I had one to try out. Meanwhile the 9" round HF coil is a very quick and deep coil at 28 khz. But remember, can't do normalization with HF coils.

Yeah, I dont’t see too many people reviewing the 13”. 28khz seems to be the magic number. Thanks for the info on normalization. I was not aware of that!

I have a 13" coil, but I only use it in locating a site.
Then I switch to the 11"lf or the 9"hf round.
All are great coils

Hello mate,
I use 13" coil from 2 years and im going to hit 1000 coins for those years. Dont think that Ive been on places that there no one have been before. Before me there have been people from 20 years ago. Here in my country treasure hunting and metaldetecting is more profession then a hobby, hehe.
13" is the deepest coil from all of the rest. My personal tests that I have done prove it and there are some nice test that you can see in YT:
11" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YE88FXXuBw
13" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBg0Jmtjgc
Why is the deepest - because it is the largest :) But here is a catch. As larger is the coil as better will perform for larger items in a greater depth, but worse will be for smaller items. I found that for coins from 18+ mm. and up, 13" is the best choice.
You will say - Yes, but there is a extraordinary items smaller then 18 mm.
True, but not many. More interesting things are deeper and they are larger like - As, dupondius, sestertius, medallions (all 28+ mm), figures (10 cm+;especially they are very deep buried, 40-50+ cm. deep). End on last place, but not by priority; 2-3 up to thousands coins gathered together - a Hoard! Isnt that all we searching about :)
So if you use smaller coil, the chance to miss all of the above is greater. I mean to miss them when they are buried in a greater depth. Dont count that you are first on the site and no one know it and never been there before. Probably someone already detected largest, swallow and easier to detect items. The point is hit the Tartarus! Search deep.
About HF coil.
As higher the frequency as smaller items you will be able to hear, better will penetrate the soil (especially if it is rocky like ruined castles, ceramics (as roof tiles) and mineralized ground) because soil is a kind of dielectric for the radio waves, but here is the catch :) Your depth will be smaller.
As lower the frequency, deeper you will penetrate, larger items will be able to detect, but wont be able to discriminate well and will hear closer to iron sound (ofc when they are on the frontier). Here is how I use kHz ranked by popularity;
7,7 - fields (especially good when it is ploughland), meadows.
11,5 - when fields and meadows are more rocky or passing above houses (easily you can notice it by higher mineralization on that spot) or very dry lands.
17,4 - highly mineralized ground, rocky places, roads, ruined castles etc.
4,0 - checking for everything in descent depth.
Here is one video that will give you an overall picture. Nevertheless is about GPRs, principles are same;
https://youtu.be/oQaRfA7yJ0g?t=44
Personally I would not use HF coil for coin and relic shooting, unless I want to suck out every coin that is laying on the edge from the upper layers. I would use it for a second run or in conditions that I listed above. It is a coil more suitable for a gold and beach hunting.
Shortly, 13" (on first place) and HF 9″ round coil is your choice
Ahh yes btw, 13" is a heavy coil so find some a self-contained belt (dont know exactly english name Minelab got nice gear, called "Pro swing - 45"). I advise you to use it even with lighter detectors. It will safe you energy, prolong you hunting day and most important will keep your shoulders healthy.
And remember - best discriminator is you shovel !
Sorry for not perfectly used English grammer and Happy hunting :)

Awesome info! Thanks for the that. I actually went with the round 9" HF but I may add the 13" down the road. I actually found a clad quarter about 8-9" down the first time using it. I was quite impressed with that!

Thanks for the YT links. I will check those out now.

Loot-a-rang said:
Hello mate,
I use 13" coil from 2 years and im going to hit 1000 coins for those years. Dont think that Ive been on places that there no one have been before. Before me there have been people from 20 years ago. Here in my country treasure hunting and metaldetecting is more profession then a hobby, hehe.
13" is the deepest coil from all of the rest. My personal tests that I have done prove it and there are some nice test that you can see in YT:
11" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YE88FXXuBw
13" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBg0Jmtjgc
Why is the deepest - because it is the largest :) But here is a catch. As larger is the coil as better will perform for larger items in a greater depth, but worse will be for smaller items. I found that for coins from 18+ mm. and up, 13" is the best choice.
You will say - Yes, but there is a extraordinary items smaller then 18 mm.
True, but not many. More interesting things are deeper and they are larger like - As, dupondius, sestertius, medallions (all 28+ mm), figures (10 cm+;especially they are very deep buried, 40-50+ cm. deep). End on last place, but not by priority; 2-3 up to thousands coins gathered together - a Hoard! Isnt that all we searching about :)
So if you use smaller coil, the chance to miss all of the above is greater. I mean to miss them when they are buried in a greater depth. Dont count that you are first on the site and no one know it and never been there before. Probably someone already detected largest, swallow and easier to detect items. The point is hit the Tartarus! Search deep.
About HF coil.
As higher the frequency as smaller items you will be able to hear, better will penetrate the soil (especially if it is rocky like ruined castles, ceramics (as roof tiles) and mineralized ground) because soil is a kind of dielectric for the radio waves, but here is the catch :) Your depth will be smaller.
As lower the frequency, deeper you will penetrate, larger items will be able to detect, but wont be able to discriminate well and will hear closer to iron sound (ofc when they are on the frontier). Here is how I use kHz ranked by popularity;
7,7 - fields (especially good when it is ploughland), meadows.
11,5 - when fields and meadows are more rocky or passing above houses (easily you can notice it by higher mineralization on that spot) or very dry lands.
17,4 - highly mineralized ground, rocky places, roads, ruined castles etc.
4,0 - checking for everything in descent depth.
Here is one video that will give you an overall picture. Nevertheless is about GPRs, principles are same;
https://youtu.be/oQaRfA7yJ0g?t=44
Personally I would not use HF coil for coin and relic shooting, unless I want to suck out every coin that is laying on the edge from the upper layers. I would use it for a second run or in conditions that I listed above. It is a coil more suitable for a gold and beach hunting.
Shortly, 13" (on first place) and HF 9″ round coil is your choice
Ahh yes btw, 13" is a heavy coil so find some a self-contained belt (dont know exactly english name Minelab got nice gear, called "Pro swing - 45"). I advise you to use it even with lighter detectors. It will safe you energy, prolong you hunting day and most important will keep your shoulders healthy.
And remember - best discriminator is you shovel !
Sorry for not perfectly used English grammer and Happy hunting :)