Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

13" x 11" x35 coil question

Tony N (Michigan)

Usually, in descriptions for the x35 13" x 11" coil, it says this coil is for large coins or caches i.e. "such as large masses and large Silver coins."

Has anyone found deep (10" deep) silver dimes or indian head pennies with this coil?

In their description for this coil and the 11" and 9" coil they say 4kHz with boost mode, it is good for finding large masses and large Silver coins.
I wonder why, since the lower the frequency the hotter the coil is on silver that with 4kHz with boost mode it would be good for finding DEEP small silver coins with the 9" coil?

Tony,

All three X35 coils (running V5.2X+) will provide the BOOST mode in 4kHz. As you mentioned, the lower frequency is better suited for high conductive targets such as silver coins (US or others that are 90% silver). Some of the pre-milled silver coins can be paper thin and of low silver content which drives then into the mid-low conductive range.

The beauty of DD coils is that smaller coils to not get a heck of a lot less depth than a larger one since it sees les ground and can be run at a slightly higher sensitivity level with the same stability resulting from doing so. Of course the larger the coil the more likely you are to have target ,asking; i.e., more than one target under the coil at the same time, which can cause you to miss targets in trashy areas.

With that, I have found that the 9" X35 coil is an ideal coil for areas with high concentrations of targets and the 11x13 for wide open areas such as fields and beaches. The balance with the mounting location is a little off as compared to the 9" and 11" coils but there are solutions to address that. All three do very well on high conductive targets in ground that has little to somewhat moderate mineralization in the BOOST mode. If ground conditions get severe (as some areas here in Michigan do as you know), the BOOST mode will produce excessive chatter which simply tells you to drop back to normal in 4Kz to settle things out.

Hope this helps

Andy

If you were searching for fine gold rings and fine gold chains would you go with the 9" HF elliptical which goes as high as 81kHz or with the 9" HF round which goes up to 59kHz?

Also, is the 81kHz more for small gold nugget hunting?

Personally I have not used the highest frequency on either coil for non-prospecting applications. I find the 28.8kHz frequency on either to give me the depth and sensitivity I am looking for when beach / jewelry hunting. The highest frequencies do not get quite the depth and will find slivers of aluminum so small the pinpointer struggles to find them at times.

Andy

Please try the 13x11 coil before you purchase one , Andy says the balence is off,...but in reality it’s embarrassingly bad , you can buy a block that fixes onto the coil that shifts the stem making it more central, but the coil I found was nose heavy and uncomfortable to use .
Not sure how many Gramms heavier it is over the 11’ coil, probably only 80 or so, but it feels like 2lb more .

Try one first

Try before you buy. To me, like so many oversized coils on the market for many detectors, I feel it is awkward and fatiguing, at least for me, but I'm older and in pretty rough health and challenged mobility. A friend has been a Deus user for years and I wanted to check out different coils to see how well they do or don't balance as well as their weight. He didn't like the 11X13 DD either and he's much younger and healthier. For deeper, smaller-sized targets, such as small coins, he prefers his 11" coil and gets impressive detection depths at times.

I bought the XP ORX with the 5X9½ HF DD. It's the largest size coil I keep mounted on any unit in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit because I mainly search very brushy, trashy and confined areas, but the ORX w/5X9½ HF coil is still providing me very impressive performance in the more open areas where 'depth' is achievable since there are not a lot of masking targets. My personal opinion regarding search coil size assignment hasn't wavered much over the past five+ decades, and that is you hit a point where those bigger coils really are best for caches and other bigger-size objects and not an effective choice for any deeper smaller-sized targets such as coins, tokens, buttons, etc.

I'm with Ghost uk on this, to find one and check it out on the end of a detector and see how it feels, or would feel after a short hunt, and also compare potential target response at depth.

Monte

Rather than go bigger, I wish Xp would go smaller.
A 6 inch round coil would work perfectly between cut stubble fields .

They are Missing a trick , I believe many many people would jump straight in and buy it

Ghost uk said:
Rather than go bigger, I wish Xp would go smaller.
A 6 inch round coil would work perfectly between cut stubble fields .

They are Missing a trick , I believe many many people would jump straight in and buy it

We can send a man to the moon but we can't make a detector to see through nails and trash to see coins and gold. Maybe the Govt. has those?

Id personaly not want that matey, i enjoy the fight .
I honestly hope the technology right now with metal detectors stays this way.
I don't want it to be easy, where's the fun in that!

It took about $50 billion (in 1960 dollars) to go to the moon. Another $50 billion might fix the coil problem.

Ghost uk said:
Id personaly not want that matey, i enjoy the fight .
I honestly hope the technology right now with metal detectors stays this way.
I don't want it to be easy, where's the fun in that!

Here in the states we have to deal with millions of pull tabs. So when lookin for gold we have to dig maybe 300 pull tabs and still not find any gold.
The least they could do is to make a detector that can detect actual gold and not aluminum.

Tony some tips. All of the gold rings I have found were in areas which were fairly clean like house sites or areas like parks where there was traffic but the trash was not overwhelming. I've was in a park 2 years ago which is 150 years old and is still a park and a CSA camp site. Was in a field where there was traffic and good bit of trash but not overwhelming. Dug a signal I knew was a tab or a nickle. 14kt men's wedding band. The areas I won't ring hunt are the worst trashy areas like picnic tables, concession stands and parking lots where folks first leave their cars. Also found all rings at 28khz. I have lots of family rings I've tested as well as just about every tab made. Most ring in the same areas but selecting the best sights will help your odds. Here's something interesting. Keep in mind these were air test so ground results may differ. Andy rightly said that the 74kfz would pick up lots of Al but just out of curiosity, I tested all my rings and 100 tabs on 74. Noticed that all tabs were squeezed in a 88-91 window with all jewelry ringing up below or above this range. One instance in which Norm on might have an advantage. Charlene told me that some folk have found small chains at 28 but I've only been able to duplicate at 74 but keep in mind again this was only an air test. Might give this a whirle. Obviously 74 not an option for coins. Paul

LTimedigger said:
Tony some tips. All of the gold rings I have found were in areas which were fairly clean like house sites or areas like parks where there was traffic but the trash was not overwhelming. I've was in a park 2 years ago which is 150 years old and is still a park and a CSA camp site. Was in a field where there was traffic and good bit of trash but not overwhelming. Dug a signal I knew was a tab or a nickle. 14kt men's wedding band. The areas I won't ring hunt are the worst trashy areas like picnic tables, concession stands and parking lots where folks first leave their cars. Also found all rings at 28khz. I have lots of family rings I've tested as well as just about every tab made. Most ring in the same areas but selecting the best sights will help your odds. Here's something interesting. Keep in mind these were air test so ground results may differ. Andy rightly said that the 74kfz would pick up lots of Al but just out of curiosity, I tested all my rings and 100 tabs on 74. Noticed that all tabs were squeezed in a 88-91 window with all jewelry ringing up below or above this range. One instance in which Norm on might have an advantage. Charlene told me that some folk have found small chains at 28 but I've only been able to duplicate at 74 but keep in mind again this was only an air test. Might give this a whirle. Obviously 74 not an option for coins. Paul

Thanks, Paul.
I'll have to check that out! That sure is good to know about the window of 88-91 at 74kHz.

Do you know whatever happened to Paul (CA) who used to post in here?

Tony