Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

14" excellerator search coil?????

beachguy777

Ok, I admit it. I'm thinkin' about it. I have the 10.5" one that came with Quatro, and I bought a 5" excellerator from Kellyco that I really like for trashy areas. Works good there and seperates things very well, but what about the beach, that is such a large area, with so many rings to find. What's a fella to do. Should I stay with the 10.5" or get the 14" so I can cover more area and go deeper at the same time. Any feelings on that scenereo, or any scenereo for that matter.????

Hello,

I suggest you go back and read the previous posts regarding coils to get an idea on what to do. I am using my 10.5" "stock" coil for the beach. Even though I have read that larger can give more depth and surface area, I keep reading about more falsing, etc. I have dug MANY targets 18 + inches deep with my Quattro with the standard coil. It Pin-points VERY well on the beach too. The larger coils??? I keep reading about hand-held pin-pointers being needed with larger coils.(?) I have a couple of friends that have been detecting the local beaches with Minelabs for years and they have both gone back to the 10.5" coil (without the "cover"). The 10.5" is easy to swing and have no plans to change. Just my "2 cents".

See my post above on this...I REALLY feel that for beach hunting you would LOVE the bigger coil. And most would recommend the WOT, though in my personal opinion, that's a little more coil than I want. The 12.5" coils are terrific and really shine at the beach. And with my Elite, I was used to running my sens at 10 or 11 oclock and when I went to the S-12 I had to drop it to 11 or 12 oclock...not a big deal. But my finds went up significantly with that coil. Think about it...if you miss is by an inch, you may as well have missed it by a mile. The bigger coil gives you a real edge at the beach.

Stock 10.5 should give you all the depth and coverage you need but might look into Sunrays line of larger coils as they make an excellent product. Never used the excellerator so can't comment on it...

Thanks a lot everyone, for the responce on the bigger coil thing. These responses are very interesting because one of the responses talks about not using the coil cover, which I heard would never deture the depth or effectiveness of hunting, but again, I don't know for sure. Any feelings on the coil cover deal.??? But getting back to the larger coil, I never thought that you might get some falsing. Hmmm!!!! That could be a bummer, but again Mike say's the larger coils are pretty good. My main thought is that I live near a few beaches that I know had people on them in the 20's and even the late 1800's, because I saw pictures of them, but again, would there be old coins that deep, and again could I have some falsing. The other reason I would like to get the bigger coil is the whole idea of being able to cover more ground more quickly, as we have a whole lot of beaches here in California, and quite a few, right here in San Diego. Well..., I can't quite afford one yet anyway, but I just figured I'd do some research, and what better place than to talk to the guy who own's one and also I need to consider the different maker's, like WOK and sunray, or whatever. Thanks again, and good hunting. Marc, (the wanna be beach bum). I'm not an official beach bum till I either retire or lose my job,,,, I'd rather retire.