Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15” coil behavior...where’s the pipe?

I just recalled this tonight, experienced during my Equinox stock 11” coil Vs. the new 15” coil testing, utilizing my test bed. Off to the side of one of my rows of my test bed, I noticed I picked up a strange target with the 15” coil on. I was fairly confident that any stray targets had been cleared. Time and time again. And a half dozen machines with a dozen coils had passed that exact spot. But not only was I picking up an iron target, but the target had -length,- like a 2’ (Two foot) piece of pipe. Straight as an arrow regular or while pinpointing, even with the sensitivity dialed way back. Including approaching the target from several angles.

How could I possibly miss a piece of iron pipe? Was the 15” coil THAT good, to plumb new depths, and find new targets???

Well folks... I wish that was the answer. But upon digging, the target became nothing more than 4 deep, rusty small nails. Damn! And I mean I dissected that target from every conceivable angle and setting. Including as I mentioned... the power dialed way back to about 15-18. Somehow that 15” coil “knit” those nails into one very believable “piece of pipe.” “This ain’t my first rodeo” as they say. I truly spent time and effort trying to find gaps along the way. I guess partially because my pride was at stake. How did I miss a piece of pipe??? In my test bed of all places!

So this is something that -Bears Watching- for now. Oh, I’m sure if I cut the sensitivity back to 10 or something, the nails would have separated. But what is the point in that? Too low a power for normal use. I do find it interesting that although the 15” coil showed these nails as one, the coil still identified targets that I was not aware of before! The mysteries of the Equinox! Kind of like when the machine before the firmware update, was not finding at times large silver coins up on edge.

If anyone else has experienced this MELDING TARGETS (multi-targets into 1) as I describe here, please add a post here for our knowledge base. Let’s hope this phenomenon only occurs on ferrous targets, and few and far between. I would hate to miss a lined up coin spill when you might think your target is “outside the kill box.”

I have seen this to a smaller degree. I think it may just be a 'feature' of the large coil and strength of the 800/600.

Jack Barlow said:
I just recalled this tonight, experienced during my Equinox stock 11” coil Vs. the new 15” coil testing, utilizing my test bed. Off to the side of one of my rows of my test bed, I noticed I picked up a strange target with the 15” coil on. I was fairly confident that any stray targets had been cleared. Time and time again. And a half dozen machines with a dozen coils had passed that exact spot. But not only was I picking up an iron target, but the target had -length,- like a 2’ (Two foot) piece of pipe. Straight as an arrow regular or while pinpointing, even with the sensitivity dialed way back. Including approaching the target from several angles.

How could I possibly miss a piece of iron pipe? Was the 15” coil THAT good, to plumb new depths, and find new targets???

Well folks... I wish that was the answer. But upon digging, the target became nothing more than 4 deep, rusty small nails. Damn! And I mean I dissected that target from every conceivable angle and setting. Including as I mentioned... the power dialed way back to about 15-18. Somehow that 15” coil “knit” those nails into one very believable “piece of pipe.” “This ain’t my first rodeo” as they say. I truly spent time and effort trying to find gaps along the way. I guess partially because my pride was at stake. How did I miss a piece of pipe??? In my test bed of all places!

So this is something that -Bears Watching- for now. Oh, I’m sure if I cut the sensitivity back to 10 or something, the nails would have separated. But what is the point in that? Too low a power for normal use. I do find it interesting that although the 15” coil showed these nails as one, the coil still identified targets that I was not aware of before! The mysteries of the Equinox! Kind of like when the machine before the firmware update, was not finding at times large silver coins up on edge.

If anyone else has experienced this MELDING TARGETS (multi-targets into 1) as I describe here, please add a post here for our knowledge base. Let’s hope this phenomenon only occurs on ferrous targets, and few and far between. I would hate to miss a lined up coin spill when you might think your target is “outside the kill box.”[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

"Hello Jack"

I found your post and read it after replying to another NOX thread involving comments on iron targets.

Your experience using a larger coil is to be expected!

The intrinsic 'drawback' to any 'larger' coil, is its natural functionallity of 'melding' close targets.

If any targets of similar metals are spaced LESS THAN half the 'width' of the coil's physical dimensions, then they will tend to form a continuous signal.

That statement's accuracy is dictated by the size and orientation of the individual target's size and alignment to each other.

The point being; if the seach coil's response pattern can't sepparate them, then there's little chance of the electronics being able to either. (Differention)

The only practical technique then, is to raise the coil and see if you can utilise the narrowing-search-head response.

Maxim.....Big coil usage is mainly for areas where deeper targets are sparsly found......matt