Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" Coil One Immediate Caveat --PART 2--

I was able to do further testing of the Minelab Equinox's new 15" coil. Sadly the darkness arrived before I could switch back to the stock coil for comparison testing. Tomorrow...if this is of value to you tonight.

First off... to trust my data means you need to know something about my test bed. I've made many over the years, but never a proper planned development. If you do "hodge-podge" in your backyard, you end up with wondering "Now how deep was this nickel yet, or was this the dime location"??? I think we've all been there! After the embarrassment of actually -losing- a test bed coin...due to placing it too close to the edge of the concrete and getting re-bar masking, I decided to do it right. Laid out on the computer geometrically, in simple neat rows, 4' apart, and 4' side to side on each target. But most important... a -record- of your work on computer, phone, piece of paper...just to remember later on. Your biggest time consuming work with be de-masking the entire field. That is removing every last nail, nail head, soffet tin scraps, screws, and if you're lucky...even a coin or two from the de-masking. I was not so lucky.

By demasking...I of course mean removing all scrap iron and junk for a 98% iron free test bed that will be free of iron masking. Just as important is the opposite. You leave a piece of iron in the ground inadvertently, and it ends up right next to one of your holes. Now the target is -ampliflied- and not a true reading on its own! So if you can through the iron removal process... probably several hours, (I had 84 pieces no bigger than a nail), you are well on your way to a test bed to be proud of.

I should take a minute to point out the great value and utility of a good test bed (garden's are for tomatoes). That checking how deep your machine will read a particular target is the least of it. One...you may find out something is not right on your machine when you cannot hit an easy target....loose connector, bad coil, etc. Then you have the different modes, which really does work well in your soil? And when we get to -tuning- now we really benefit! So many possibilities! Wow...it works better and deeper -with- discrimination on!!?? Really??? Things like that. And then of course comparing one machine to another. And of course if your buddy's are good to you and bring the beer... well they too could use your test bed. I have personally enjoyed quite of bit of training others in my test bed. The uses are many and varied...and well worth the effort to construct a quality test bed that if done right, will last decades!

Here is how... and I'm going to keep this brief. Any questions, just please ask.

1. Keep the test bed a minimum of 15' from any structure to avoid EMI and building materials near the structure. Of course a shady spot is always preferred. Watch out for U/G septic tanks, wiring, heavy plumping, etc.
2. You can decide on your own depths, but for me the minimum was 8".
3. Use a post hole digger if you have it, or your detecting shovel to keep tight, small holes. The less the side-walls are disturbed the better.
4. This is important...place a plastic disc the width of the hole in the bottom of the hole by hand, carefully leveling off and pushing into firm ground. This will keep the coin from sinking deeper into the ground, or worse yet, tilting off on its side.
5. Keep taking disc in and out until you get the perfect depth to within a half inch or less. But always a + depth to keep minimums. To measure accurately...carefully lay a paint stick across the center of the opening of the hole. Press flat and level with the overall lay of the land. Now measure straight down with a tape ruler, crossing the paint stick at right angles. You -will- get excellent depth control!
6. Place your coins logically. I started on the far left hole, 1st row with an 8" penny, then a 10" penny, then an 8" nickel, 10" nickel, 8" dime, 10." dime, 8" quarter, 10" quarter, 12" quarter, and 14" quarter. So you can stand there and easily count out to where you want to be.
7. And simply make your rows 4' apart, and the holes no closer than 4'. Deciding on the length of rows is up to you.
8, I intend soon to add another 2 rows for the half dollar, $1 coin, etc. And even a row for the Civil War Minie' Balls at different depths!

And finally on to the new 15" Equinox coil.

1. Sensitivity seemed similar in my yard to the stock coil. Sensitivity was left at 22, with a slight background falsing.

2. For the sake of testing... I used Park 1 throughout the test. All stock settings, EXCEPT THE RECOVERY SPEED MUST, I REPEAT MUST BE REDUCED TO BEST BEING 4, 5 BEING MOST. OTHERWISE SIGNAL IS POOR, MUCH WEAKER, SOMEWHAT BROKEN, IFFY. TAKE ONE THING AWAY FROM THIS POSTING...THIS IS IT.... RECOVERY SPEED --MUST--BE REDUCED TO 4. Put a little star on this coil to remember. Too high a RS will ruin your day. Thank you.

3. As you've seen...all my test bed coins are mainly 8 & 10" deep. On all holes...the machine showed full bars on depth. Which would be pretty accurate.

4. Here we go...self explanatory with letter of coin type and number for depth....

P-8.... Gave a 19-22 reading. Very good target, 2 tone.
P-10... Gave a 9-32 dancing all over reading. Difficult target.

N-8... Gave a 12-13 reading. Very good target, solid tone, love those nickels!
N-10... Gave a 12-13 reading. Same tone as 8, very good target, but some in and out, slow your coil, but easily detectable at normal operation.

D-8,,, Gave a 22-24 reading. What a joy! Nice clean higher tone, Bright and fast...just as fast as you can warp that coil back and forth over the target five feet, it will hit it! RECOVERY OF 4 IS EXCELLENT!
D-10... Gave a reading of 15-22. Good signal, flutey sounding, nice.

Q-8... Gave a reading of 30-33. (I recall with the stock coil, quarters for me were 29). Signal bright and shiny...excellent!
Q-10... Gave a reading of 30-33, a little more variance in numbers, but still bright and shiny! Fast passes...no issue.
Q-12... Gave a reading of mixed. however a good loud reading.
Q-14... Absolutely nothing as set. But here I quickly tapped over to GOLD2, 40 KHZ, and nailed the 14" quarter as if it were at 4" You must try this setting!
OK...just for a re-verification of the RECOVERY SPEED ISSUE. I TURNED IT BACK UP TO 6, and the 8" dime totally disappeared, and the 8" quarter sounded so lousy, no better than the 8" dime. USE RECOVERY SPEED 4 WITH THIS COIL AT ALL TIMES!!!

Tomorrow...if the desire is here, I will run the whole thing again with THE STOCK COIL FOR COMPARISON SAKE. It's a bunch of work...but I've learned a lot here, and am happy to help the community. :)

God Bless

Thanks for the testing and the confirmation that the Recovery Speed should be set to 4 for stable operation. I did a quick airtest with Gold 2 and wow this mode just much more desirable. Going to have to practice with this mode for sure. Be nice to use on the iffy targets.

Seems like there is just some quirky stuff going on with the large coil. I believe I'll stick with the stock coil until you test bed guys and Minelab figure out the blue prints.

goodmore said:
Seems like there is just some quirky stuff going on with the large coil. I believe I'll stick with the stock coil until you test bed guys and Minelab figure out the blue prints.
Yeah same here I'm doing just fine with the stock I just slow way down and I've been doing great good read I'll try the gold 2 I've been using park 2..

Mkus said:
Yeah same here I'm doing just fine with the stock I just slow way down and I've been doing great good read I'll try the gold 2 I've been using park 2..

Me too.

All the reports i've read and the videos i've seen the 15" coil definitely ain't worth the money over the stock coil.

Glad I didn't fork out for one - phew!

Matt

Actually I feel the 15" coil is amazing! Swings really good and can swing for 5-6 hours no problems and no sore shoulder..it covers ground like no other.. I've had it out a few times and covered areas I've hunted alot before and was happily surprised.. it behaves like a clean sweep coil only deeper than the stock coil and still picks up rivet heads 7+" deep with clear signals.. I have a tiny 10k gold heart smaller than a 3 cent piece and not solid, a wire and this coil air tests deeper than any other machine with any coil by several inches.. I keep records of every detector I've owned since 1990 .. to be honest everyone should have one.. my test garden coins have been buried 10ish years and I can literally raise the coil 8" above the ground and pick them up.. they are 7-8" in the ground.. sounds crazy but it's true. Also no emi running full sensitivity.. my dirt here in Ohio is fairly mild in lost places... I have not noticed any problems with it..