Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" Coil One Immediate Caveat --PART 3--

So if you are new to this...please look back and find "15" Coil One Immediate Caveat, Parts 1&2. Those postings from the last two nights, laid out what a well built test bed looks like and how to construct one. And also the preliminary testing results of the new 15" EQX coil on this test bed. IF YOU ARE POSSIBLY CONTEMPLATING A TEST BED IN THE FUTURE, YOU MAY WANT TO ARCHIVE MY BUILD INSTRUCTIONS FROM YESTERDAY. I am now very pleased with the current layout, and as I mentioned, adding 2 more rows to it for the larger coins, half dollar, U.S. $1, etc. Then a row of Civil War Minie' Balls! That's the beauty of your very own TEST BED...you can place anything you like in the holes for testing. You might be wondering where the jewelry is...the gold rings, 4/8 Reales, etc. If you do place such items...DO NOT ADVERTISE IT! Keep those locations secret, off to the side, that only U know where!!! And then protect from soil and simply just losing the spot (when finished...you DID record the whole layout on your password protected computer or even just a private notebook or simple piece of paper in duplicate, but different locations, right? Protect the ring, etc., in a little plastic coin holder (flip) of good quality, with a piece of heavy weight fishing line up to the surface that you can find, or for a quick retrieval if the Mrs. is out to get you!!??? DO NOT leave the line more than an inch or so long on the surface...the mother in law or the lawnmower could get a grip on it and pull it up and out! Not good either way...but I vote for the lawnmower in a worst case scenario! Ha!!! (;

Tonight we will look at the comparison results using the --original, stock 11" coil. Sorry...I will not do the comps here...you will have to look back at yesterday. Most important...instead of just hard numbers, is that you "get a feel" for the overall comparison. You will quickly see how important it is to have or have access to a good test bed. You have that famous scientific --CONSTANT-- to do meaningful testing comparing the two coils against the same rigid site, where again...everything is constant in depth and soil conditions, compass orientation, etc. I was careful to make sure I finished before the rain came today. As we all know... wet soil will noticeably --enhance your target returns-- in quality and depth. To be honest...rain would have thrown the entire --test comparison results-- out the window!

And so we begin...using the same logic as yesterday. Coins are identified by their first letter, penny, nickel, dime, quarter... PNDQ. And depth the number of inches deep... the same as the actual depth. Let's have at it !!!

CONSTANTS: ALL TESTING DONE IN PARK1, SENSITIVITY 22, FACTORY SET DISCRIMINATION ON... after a fresh EMI noise cancel, and a fresh ground balance. It always is good practice to reduce your sensitivity for the GB --after-- checking with full or high power for a -perfectly clean- spot,,,free of any metal whatsoever site. This can be hard to find at times, be patient and keep at it. Removing as much of the ground signal as possible is imperative to good detecting. I often do a couple EMI checks too. Look at your screen reading after doing a noise cancel. Then turn 180 and do it again. See what I mean? I normally hold the detector up and point at the power lines if visible. That half minute spent on EMI and GB a couple extra times during the actual hunt, often pays off with smoother, more even signals.

P-8... 18-32 number, strong signal, flutey at times, varied signal numbers

P-10... numbers all over with a flutey weak signal, but steady and repeatable

N-8... Very solid 12-13. Here is where things sound fancy! Deep rich signal, VERY SOLID. Sometimes a 14 sneaks in.

N-10... Interestingly...now the 12 DROPS OUT...giving you a 13, 14, 15...so if you are a gunslinger... a 15 showing means DEEP NICKEL at about 10"

D-8... 22-27 Strong, SWEET...HIGH NOTE...super fast warp speed swinging the coil back and forth over target, proving Recovery Speed 4 is fine.

D-10... 36-40 Still solid, but 2 way passes have a wide variance.

Q-8... 30-34 Almost a harsh, SUPER BRIGHT TONE! VERY GOOD.

Q-10... 37-39 Solid, repeatable signal.

Q-12... 35-38 Good medium responses, well repeatable

Q-14... Absolutely nothing using this mode and sensitivity.

And now I would like to ask for ---OTHERS--- to take this data, compare it, and come up with some "meat and potatoes" sense of it. This was just the beginning for those interested in "Should I buy this coil or wait?" Ironically today...even with storm clouds gathering (literally) I was able to boost the sensitivity up 1 with the stock 11" coil...without being too aggressive with excessive falsing. Know this...boosting Sensitivity from 22 to 24 brings this stock coil alive on all my targets. You should IMHO, push for what you can get. At least in this mode and settings. Turning the power way down for a totally quiet, pleasant machine is not the answer. Just be aware of this, and again...test that sensitivity on some known targets. You might be surprised! I would only guess the big 15" coil would love to take in anything you can throw at it!

I did go out to an old lot I use for "real world" testing later today. ---The coil seemed very well behaved.--- It found small targets with great ease. When you're getting those electrician snips of 3" of bare conductor wire, so darn hard to see in a handful of dirt, you are doing fine! After a couple hours of use, I actually had no issues with the size or weight. Just a little bulky when re-checking your hole after pulling the plug. But it showed the small targets in the plug just fine. I'm a little fried here brain wise...I would really again-- like a few of you guys to give opinions on the comparison--. To see what might seem obvious to you...between the two! You certainly did feel good marching across the open lot KNOWING for a fact that it was keeping up just fine! I even took up a normal walking speed straight walk to the area I wanted to go, and it stopped me dead over a valid target, and not too big either. Stable when you bump her...fit and finish very nice. Any questions...shoot. I hope this was helpful to more than a few.

God Bless & Good Hunting

I appreciate the many hours you may have spent testing and doing these threads. It’s good information. I’m not a real test garden guy just because I’m a water hunter. Ive found the best test bed for me is using the equipment. Ive get a lot of hours in on the machines most of us use so I know what to expect when comparing them without a side by side. Keeping up with new advances help change mine sets as well. Like how much sensitivity can I use, or how sensitive is it to small targets in the gold range, and how will it move.....vs the standard. I’m one who stays on the fence until I’ve got a lot of info.....vs price and what it may or may not do. Machines, coils and headphones are taking small steps but getting better. Thanks again for filling in some blanks