Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" coils for the X-Terra

Neil

I see there are two manufacturers, minelab and coiltek. About $100 difference in price. Which ones are most of you using and which kHz?

Does anyone have one of the 10.5" coils and if so can you weigh it. Wondering what the weight difference is between it and both the stock coils(9") and the 15" ones. The 15" ones are listed at 26oz.

Thank you

Actually Neil, Minelab has taken over production of all Xterra coils except the 6" 3kHz DD "Digger", which is still available from Coiltek.
Minelab and Coiltek work hand-in-hand, and other than color there is no difference between what Coiltek offered and what Minelab now does.

As far as preference, I like the 3kHz 15", and use it the most of all Xterra coils. I have a 15" 18.75kHz, but it only sees beach duty where good low conductor response is a benefit.

Randy posted the weights of some coils HERE.

Thank you Longhair. The higher freq would be what Im interested in. I will post up the weight of the 9" elliptical in a day or so, I have that one and the 9" 7.5khz, which is pretty good on small gold I might add.
It does read differently though, Ive got a 18k thin necklace I check detectors with and my Etrac wont make a peep on it. The Xterra with the 9" 7.5khz hits it good up to about 3" with a -2 reading, iron reading, but it hits it well. The elliptical hits it a little better at 4" and gives it a +2 reading. When theres a chance of small gold I dig down to -2 so not a problem. I know small gold earrings can hit -2 also.
I think Coiltek made minelabs first coils, those white donut coils, like on the first Sovs....at least I remember reading that back in the day. I don't know if they made the horshoe coil that came on the Excal. They sure make a boatload of coils for the gold machines and the quality in their coils is first rate, just like minelabs.....

I copied this from one of Diggers posts:

Coiltek 15-inch @ 7.5 kHz = 24.8 oz.
Coiltek 15-inch @ 18.75 kHz = 25.8 oz..
Coiltek 15-inch @ 3 kHz = 28.8 oz.
Minelab HF Elliptical = 14.2 oz.
Minelab MF 10.5 DD = 20.4 oz
Minelab 6-inch HF DD = 13.4 oz
Minelab 9-inch LF = 17.8 oz

Looks like the LF coils weigh a little more, given the same coil size