Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15 Inch DD Round coil for T2+ ?:shrug:

Tony (Michigan)

[size=large]Anyone here use the 15 inch DD Round Coil by Teknetics on their T2+?

If so, what are your thoughts on it? Increased depth? How much greater depth over the stock coil?

It weighs 2 pounds?

I imagine it is not so good in areas with lots of trash but what about farm fields?

I'm thinking of getting one but not sure yet.
[/size]

I have had one for maybe a couple of years,used it for about 20 minutes and it sits on the cupboard,it maybe deeper and it may cover more ground,the price is very appealing from 1st Texas and the reason why is because in my mind they are good for one thing using as a 'Boat Anchor' the weight of them is the biggest downfall full stop,you may get the odd person who occasionally uses one.

But who ever designed that coil weight wise must have been built like 'King Kong',rest assured it is in theory a great coil on paper but for everyday use forget about it,of course this is just my opinion,i have many larger coils but they are not as heavy as this monster.

My advice" FORGET IT, FORGET IT, FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless of course you're built like a souped up "popeye".-----Like Mega said, it must have been King Kong that designed that thing.

Thanks guys.

What coil would you suggest for greater depth but less weight? I think the SEF 15x12 coil weighs half a pound lighter than the 15" round coil.

But from what I've read, these bigger coils on the T2 don't really get you that much deeper, maybe an inch or so? What do you think?

Tony (Michigan) said:
Thanks guys.

What coil would you suggest for greater depth but less weight? I think the SEF 15x12 coil weighs half a pound lighter than the 15" round coil.

But from what I've read, these bigger coils on the T2 don't really get you that much deeper, maybe an inch or so? What do you think?

My 2 Favourite large coils that i use on my original T2 are the SEF15x12 its a beast depth wise especially on clear open sites and still pretty good on small finds,of course i would not recommend it solely as a everyday use coil,its designed for more clear open pasture sites,but is much lighter than the 15'' round coil or the Boat anchor as i call it,it pinpoints reasonably well and i have picked up small hammered coins with mine over the years.

If i was too suggest a reasonably good larger than stock coil for ground coverage and depth then my vote would go for the NEL Storm 14x13'',much lighter than the 15'' T2 coil,does give extra depth but when going up in size over normal stock coil you do gain extra depth but mainly on larger items,with the Storm coil or what ever sister coil is call from NEL i find that mine is also very good still on small finds as well.

The trouble is when using a larger coil its main advantage is ground coverage,they do give additional depth but traditionally on large items,as you go bigger then you start getting in a decline on small item sensitivity,one of the biggest problems when using a larger coil and this applies not only on a T2 but basically all detectors is nulling ie 2 targets under the coil at the same time.one say iron and the other a good target,the detectors discrimination system can and will knock out the decent target as the discrimination cannot tell the difference between the good and bad target if they are under the coil at the same time......hence the high probability of loosing decent targets due to nulling,this why a large coil is not recommend on trashy sites but open clear sites,and if i am honest you dont gain a horrendous amount of depth advantage anyway,ground coverage yes,but also pinpointing can be a nightmare as well,most of the time it just not worth the advantage of using the maximum size coil and going for one that is smaller.

Its all about waying up the advantages and disadvantages ie cost to reward effort and settling on a 'happy medium' coil like say a 13'' one,but even then i would possibly not use it as a everyday coil,they all have advantages but the skill or experience is when too use each of these coils,and that is not as easy as one would think.