Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15X12 SEF for GT

Beachcomber

Well I bit the bullet this week and ordered a 15X12 SEF Sov version this week. I have been reading a lot of good things about the SEF's both the Sov and Explorer versions. So I decided to give the Sov version a try first. If it's as good on the beach as everything that I have read both here and on other Forums then I may even try one on the Explorer. Up until now I have never found any coil larger than the stock coil that was really enjoyable to hunt with in the wet sand on an Explorer. There are some that work but they are usually quite noisey or you have to turn the Sensitivity down so low that you lose any depth advantage that you might have gained by the increased size. This is not a fault of the coils as much as it is because of the increased frequency range of the Explorer. However this has never been the case with coils for the Sov. Sov's have always been able to handle larger coils on the wet sand with little or no problems. So I decided for my first try of a SEF coil I would go with the Sov version in the 15" size since this is the size coil I normally hunt with on the beach. Hopefully weather permitting I will be able to get out this weekend and do some real hunting with this new coil.

Now for the first impressions. This coil is extremely well made! I was very impressed at the quality of workmanship of this coil. I have read quite a few posts where people have asked about the weight of these coils but have not seen any real answer than general comparisons to other coils. So the first thing I did after checking out the coil was to weight it. I not only weighed the SEF but also a WOT and the stock 10" slimline coil. I did not weigh the wires. I supported the wires so that they did not effect the weight measurement. I supported the weight of all the coil wires in the same manner so that the results of the actual coils would be effected equally by my method of supporting the wires. So here are my weights for the coils. The 10" slimline coil weighs in at 17oz. The 15X12 SEF coil weighs in at 22oz. and the WOT weighs in at 24oz. These measurements were also without coil covers as coil covers are not used beach hunting because they cause falsing when they get sand and salt water sloshing around inside them.

So if the SEF 15X12 works as good as it looks I will be very happy with it. Should know more by Sunday night.

HH

Beachcomber