Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

16 - 1800's Coins

Hit an old Agricultural Fair gounds (1866 - 1900 ). This is now a field which was in beans this year. The old gentleman (80) who lived across the road said it had been hit hard over the years. Grounds consisted of 15 acres. Managed to find 4 seated dimes (1850,1855,1874,1876) 1 two cent piece1865,2 shield nickels 1868 and 9 Indian Head Pennies (1859,1864,1875,2-1876,1884,1888,189?,1905) These were found with a Fisher CZ - 3D Thanks for looking.

Great job. What kind of depth were the coins on average? Was there lots of junk?

keep on diggin'

jimmyk in MIssouri

Every year they plow the field hit it and hit it long and hard. Try AM mood and dig any reading that bounces above twenty five!

Good looking silvers. The coppers havent fared too well in their damp seclusion, attacked by fertilizers.

Excellent finds!!!!!!:clap:
Comment 1. Do you need any help?? Now that was a stupid question...:rofl:

Comment 2 . My brother and I have found two similar fair grounds in Iowa and have scored similar findings for the past 10- 15 years from these two spots. However they are becoming hunted out to the place where you might find one or two coins in a 5 to 6 hour hunt. We are patient, but this has become very trying and we need to find another similar spot. These old fair grounds have yielded us 60 + seated coins over the years and 100's of IH's. This past spring my brother found a copper-nickle 3 center which was the only one of them we have ever found. I did get a silver 3 center from one of the fair grounds. Many shield nickles and V nickles. A couple years ago I even pulled a 18KT wide gold wedding band out. So I would guess you have maybe several more hunts based on the amount you found this past hunt. When the pikins get down to one or two coin a day then you still have a hard time not wanting to go back based on the past success. Go slow and remember there are half dimes and them silver 3 centers that are very tiny and thin.
Good luck with your future hunts and thanks for sharing!!!
Bill

Mike,

You have an awesome site there and congrats on all the coins! What was the average depth of the coins?

Wonderful group of finds. Wish I was with you, as old fairgrounds are my favorite sites. Nice job! HH jim tn

Perhaps you can a small yard but a large field (no way) just got an 1897 barber half from a field litterly beat to death for the last 15-20 years..
Several years ago hit an old baseball field from the 1902 Braves that had been hunted by a detector club and at the end of the day had 4 silver dimes, barber quarter and 10 indian head pennies..Either they really cleaned up or perhaps missed a lot of goodies...Read somewhere that you could spend years hunting a football field and never cover it all which sounds about right to me...